• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Main ID/Data Plate Research

ab705

I've started doing a bit of research on the M37 main ID/data plate...the one that includes the vehicle's serial number, contract number, etc.

At the moment, I'm just looking for information about the M37 plate (not an M37B1 or other variants like the M42, M43, V141, etc., although those may come later).

So far, I've seen THREE variations on original factory-installed M37 ID plates, all of which use all upper-case characters.

I've seen a FOURTH variation that uses a combination of upper- and lower-case characters, although I haven't found an example (yet) that looked to me like it was an original factory-installed plate, but rather a replacement plate.

I'd like to determine if any additional plate styles exist. I'd also like to know when the styles changed. Was it by year, by contract number, or simply when an existing supply of plates ran out and they had to make more of them?

If you are quite certain that your main ID data plate is a factory-installed original, could you please post (or PM me) a good photo of it?

You might decide to blur out the serial number (that's up to you), but it would be helpful to at least show the delivery date and contract number. If you PM me with a photo, please let me know if it's acceptable for me to post the photo on the forum.

ab705

This might be considered a FIFTH style of data plate. This plate was on my 1954 M37 when I bought it. Physical evidence suggests that my truck had been converted to an M42 Command Truck, including radio gear, at some point in its history, at which time the original M37 ID plate would have been removed and an M42 plate installed. When the command kit was removed (which converted it back to an M37), the M42 plate would have been removed and a new plate installed, showing it as an M37 again. My M37 was delivered in March of 1954. The conversion from an M42 back to an M37 apparently took place in May of 1966.

m37-conversion-plate-smaller-image.jpg

This plate has a smooth surface and appears to be anodized, rather than etched.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks