• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Mystery Problem

John Mc

I see in History in Motion that Peter DeBella has contracted a coil manufacturer to make new 24 volt replacement coils available end of October. It will be interesting to give these a test.
I emailed Peter (of Peter Debella Jeep Parts). Here is his response:

Those coils just came in. Have not even had time to update the website. They are $55.00 and available to ship ASAP.

Very interesting post. It sounds like a problem I had with my M37 I got so frustrated with the motor I pulled it. I then bought a running motor which solved my problem. I do plan to build an engine stand that will allow the motor to be started out of the truck
Looking forward to reading more if the problem is figured out

copperline

I kind of gave up for a bit. Its winter and cold and i wouldnt be driving her around anyway, plus i have a few other car projects I shifted to. Every now and then I will jump in and turn her over to see if she will start and nothing. Ill get back into this in spring. I WILL figure this out!

copperline

I want to give you all an update on what happened here. I finally figured it out and its so stupid its unreal. However stupid this is, if it happened to me it could happen to anyone.

I had rebuilt the carburetor. When putting the carb back in the truck there are obviously lots of things to reconnect. Fuel lines, vaccum lines, intake brackets etc. One of the things to reconnect is the choke cable.

And here lies the problem. On the Carter carb there are two "stages" on the carb linkage. The first is a really loose play then the spring comes in for the rest. Because I had the entire thing back together i couldn't see the choke butterfly, I thought the first "stage" of the loose movement was just play that didnt do anything. Boy was I wrong. That loose play is actually the choke butterfly. I'm not even sure what the second stage does. Ill have to pull out another carb I have and see what that second stage does.

The long and short, is that I had 100% choke all the time. Even though the choke lever was fully pushed in.

Now after figuring that out she is running better than ever and I have gone back to the electronic ignition.

So there you go. Problem solved.

Johnbyrdgates

I want to give you all an update on what happened here. I finally figured it out and its so stupid its unreal. However stupid this is, if it happened to me it could happen to anyone.

I had rebuilt the carburetor. When putting the carb back in the truck there are obviously lots of things to reconnect. Fuel lines, vaccum lines, intake brackets etc. One of the things to reconnect is the choke cable.

And here lies the problem. On the Carter carb there are two "stages" on the carb linkage. The first is a really loose play then the spring comes in for the rest. Because I had the entire thing back together i couldn't see the choke butterfly, I thought the first "stage" of the loose movement was just play that didnt do anything. Boy was I wrong. That loose play is actually the choke butterfly. I'm not even sure what the second stage does. Ill have to pull out another carb I have and see what that second stage does.

The long and short, is that I had 100% choke all the time. Even though the choke lever was fully pushed in.

Now after figuring that out she is running better than ever and I have gone back to the electronic ignition.

So there you go. Problem solved.
Yes that was painful. Took almost 6 months and easily $800 in new parts. Well at least I have lots of brand new parts that I don't have to worry about. Stupid choke cable. Unreal.
Thanks, copper line, for closing the loop on this issue!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks