• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Recovery

WarrenD

Planning to recover a M37 next week and was wondering what the best way to chain it down to the trailer is. Will be using chain binders.
Cross pattern side to side? (Right side truck to left side trailer)
Front/back outward or inward under the truck?
Want to do it right for safety (and the possible DMV inspection).
Thanks!

zout

Just from looking on the underside of the 43 - there are tie down brackets there already.

If I were to load and tow this one I would use 2 chains per side - hook to the same bracket - one going to a foward point - one to the rear each side.

That is probably how they tied them down on a ship or rr car.

TheWeatherMan

if you are trailering it I would go side to side (left to right, right to left.) I have heard of some states that have that as a law that all trailered cars must be tied down like that. Use 4 chains or straps 2 front and 2 rear. It also depends what type of trailer you use, some rentals come with tie down straps already installed.

WarrenD

Thanks, not a rental, using a friends rig. Remember hearing that crossing side to side is better. Ain't messing around with 5800lbs of M37

CGarbee

I use four chains, cross them (right front of truck to left front of trailer, etc.). I don't use the little tab half way up the frame (located sorta between the cab and bed), but use the lifting shackles...

A DMV issue (at least in my neighborhood) is to not have chains attach at the same point (loose that rivit, bolt, or pin and you've lost your load).

Somewhere in my collection of stuff are the transport quidelines (they are in one of the TM's). I looked at it when I got my first M37, then I looked at what the diesel bears accross the street looked at, and settled on my current scheme...

Good luck with the move, don't forget to take your camera (and to use it... ).

No.2Diesel

Trailer Tie Down

Hi,

Congrats Warren on finding an M37. Yeah cross chain outward and if you have four individual chains and binders that is the safest way to go but two will suffice as it's not a monster load. Either the shackles or the axles is fine.

Good luck on the recovery and have a safe uneventful trip.

Attachments

WarrenD

Thanks all that's what I'll plan on. I've watched the Ice Road Truckers a bit with their big loads and they always seem to cross. I'd never use the same attach point for multiple ties and even though it is light by some standards I don't take chances......well at least not with that.

Bill W

With a 5800lb truck I wanted to pull the frame down pretty tight so as to not have three different supensions doing three different things while going down the highway, so I would drive mine up to the very front of my 16' trailer, loop a chain through the front trailer D-ring and the ends to each frame bracket tie down under the front bumpers ( vee'd ), then I'd back down on them and turn off the truck ingear then chain down each side frame tie down, pulling back against the front ( then take her out of gear )

Attachments

K10A

I always try and put the straps/chains ONLY on the axles as the suspension can compress from a bump/wreck other problem and the chains/straps can and probably will come undone. I try to NEVER hook to the frame. :deadhorse:

WarrenD

I always try and put the straps/chains ONLY on the axles as the suspension can compress from a bump/wreck other problem and the chains/straps can and probably will come undone. I try to NEVER hook to the frame. :deadhorse:
Good point! Thanks

jimmcld

However you decide to hook the chains, always run the hook through and back up to whatever it hooks to. This way, even if the chain becomes slack, gravity will keep the hook hooked.

Oldfart

:ditto:
While the military used the frame tie down locations, this was largely for ship and rail transit and they also used wheel blocks nailed to the floor with wheel straps. Frame attachments on a trailer can come slack with large bumps and lever boomers can pop open or fall off a chain link. We prefer ratchet boomers and axle tie downs that restrain both forward and rear movement as well as side to side. The greater worry is holding the load back while braking. On my M220 we went the extra step of deflating the tires before we boomered the truck down so as to avoid tire compression allowing the chains to slacken on a bump.

Last edited:

Bill W

:ditto:While the military used the frame tie down locations, this was largely for ship and rail transit and they also used wheel blocks nailed to the floor with wheel straps. Frame attachments on a trailer can come slack with large bumps and lever boomers can pop open or fall off a chain link. We prefer rachet boomers and axle tie downs that restrain both forward and rear movement as well as side to side. The greater worry is holding the load back while braking. On my M220 we went the extra step of deflating the tires before we boomered the truck down so as to avoid tire compression allowing the chains to slacken on a bump.
Thats why its important to compress it tight, I put on several thousand miles towing my M-37 trailer queen and never had a problem with the suspension ever bouncing enough to cause the hooks to come off frame mounts, heck I once hit a pothole so hard that the front trailer axle tube bent part of the trailer frame channel

Last edited:

WarrenD

Thanks Guys. Follow up question, I assume it's best to leave it in 4th gear or better in N?

WarrenD

I sure hope so Bill! I need something for fun, little to no drama. I know MV collecting (or any vehicle for that matter) can be an exercise in frustration but I'm hoping it will bring me more joy than grief! In the short term, if I can start it I'll consider that a major victory!!!:beer:
(And by that I 'm not slamming the truck, just my lack of ability to master a manual choke!)

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K10A got it right! Cross tie and do the axles only - let its suspension do its thing. You cannot compress the suspension enough, with out doing harm to it. In tieing the axles, be careful you don't wrap over a brake line. She will enjoy her ride.

I have always been concerned about strapping the axles - specifically, it concerns me to essentially be trying to pull the axles out from under the truck if you triangulate your straps in order to prevent movement of the truck from front to back relative to the trailer.

I understand the concerns about compressing the suspension (which is why I try to keep a constant eye on things in the mirrors and stop frequently to check my binders), but I've always felt that since the truck's suspension is designed to be compressed this is the lesser of two evils; the axles aren't exactly designed to be "pulled apart" and I am concerned that this loads things in ways that would be more damaging. Does this perspective seem reasonable?

My preference would be to use wheel straps, but I don't have a custom trailer...unfortunately.

Thanks,
Mark

BillF

I sure hope so Bill! I need something for fun, little to no drama. I know MV collecting (or any vehicle for that matter) can be an exercise in frustration but I'm hoping it will bring me more joy than grief! In the short term, if I can start it I'll consider that a major victory!!!:beer:
(And by that I 'm not slamming the truck, just my lack of ability to master a manual choke!)
When I was riding in it at Weare it didnt seem to need much for choke to get it running. Ed will show you the best ways to start the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks