• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38a1 engine popping from exhaust, now backfiring and no start.

Leigh H

My m38a1 Engine is making a popping noise from the exhaust when the engine is running at idle , recently fitted rebuilt carb and Fuel pump , But I had the issue before the carb and fuel pump where fitted , any ideas what the problem would be thanks

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the truck new to you, or did the problem just develop? Sat for a long time? I’m not familiar with this engine, but if it’s an overhead valve. Pull the valve cover, check for obvious differences in the valve train on that cylinder vs the others. If nothing is obvious other than that exhaust rocker has more slop than the others and it has an umbrella seal on the valve stem, slide it up and spray your favorite lube, Kroil, PB blaster, ect under it. Then LIGHTLY rap on the valve stem with a brass or dead blow hammer, spraying repeatedly, using caution to not hit the spring retainer. This will usually free up a sticking valve from not running for a long time. You will notice a change in sound pitch from the valve when it frees up and starts contacting the seat.

Leigh H

Many thanks for the advice , the jeep has been sitting for about 8 months until I got the carb sorted so could possibly be a sticking valve will pop the cover off and investigate many thanks

Leigh H

I’m very new to these engines,1953 Jeep it’s had a rebuilt carb and fuel pump , started up after 6/7 months lay off , on starting engine ticking over ok , taken for a drive but after about a few minutes Sudden loss of power and very bad backfiring , stopped at the side of the road then won’t start again and had To tow it home , any ideas where to start please Many thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks