• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 maxes out at 35mph

vforge

I was going through some TM’s noticed the top speed of an M38A1 is 60mph. I can only get up to 35mph cruising in mine. It seems slow compared to what I’ve read online. 1st gear shifts usually at 10mph and 2nd at 20mph. 3rd comfortably cruises around 35mph before pushing it. What would cause this? Did someone change the rear differential gearing?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you are way short on engine power. Mine goes 60+ with ease. The axles have 5:38 ratio, there is no ratio that would make it slower only faster.

vforge

Sounds like you are way short on engine power. Mine goes 60+ with ease. The axles have 5:38 ratio, there is no ratio that would make it slower only faster.
I don’t quite understand how that works. If your engine is running at X rpm and going at X speed. If it’s not struggling, how would engine power affect speed?

It drives considerably slower than my ‘63 CJ5.

DeetFreek

Another dumb sounding question, but needs asked as well. Correct tire size?

What's the story on the engine? Been rebuilt or overhauled in the recent past? A weak engine can give you shoddy performance. Other than that, there's not much else to give any reasons for such low speeds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks