• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 wiring diagram?

DeetFreek

I do have that wiring diagram. What I am needing is a troubleshooting schematic
Ok, so knowing that now, what is the issue? I ask only because I can't say I'm aware anything quite like that. Not that there isn't, if there's a TM that has an overhaul procedure for the gennie, it may include what you're looking for then.

M60 tanker

Ok, so knowing that now, what is the issue? I ask only because I can't say I'm aware anything quite like that. Not that there isn't, if there's a TM that has an overhaul procedure for the gennie, it may include what you're looking for then.
What I am needing is the wiring diagram for under the dashboard and ignition switch. All the wires going to the ignition switch are missing there number tags. The wiring under the hood is good. And the generator is changing 26 to 27 volts.

DeetFreek

What I am needing is the wiring diagram for under the dashboard and ignition switch. All the wires going to the ignition switch are missing there number tags. The wiring under the hood is good. And the generator is changing 26 to 27 volts.
Oof, so a few things, the schematic I posted will actually give you the info you need for most of that. I don't want to assume your vehicle is still 24V, with only the main power switch, but I will for this. One is power coming in, which is split out to the light switch and horn for constant power from the regulator, so you should have one that reads hot with the switch off. One line out from switch to ammeter that energizes when the switch is on.

If the generator output is not at 28-32V, there's a field test to determine whether the generator or regulator is faulty. I just went through this a couple months back and am still fighting it after a new generator was put in.
Screenshot_20220814-073455_Facebook.jpg

M60 tanker

Oof, so a few things, the schematic I posted will actually give you the info you need for most of that. I don't want to assume your vehicle is still 24V, with only the main power switch, but I will for this. One is power coming in, which is split out to the light switch and horn for constant power from the regulator, so you should have one that reads hot with the switch off. One line out from switch to ammeter that energizes when the switch is on.

If the generator output is not at 28-32V, there's a field test to determine whether the generator or regulator is faulty. I just went through this a couple months back and am still fighting it after a new generator was put in.
View attachment 883955
Thank you.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recall that the 100 amp system was a kit installed at depot level. The kit would have had an instruction sheet inside the crate. Nobody I know has a copy. Here is what changed with the 100 amp kit on a M38A1 to the best of my recollection: Ammeter is replaced with voltmeter. Ammeter wires (see earlier provided schematic) are abandoned and taped up. A wire needs to be spliced into the ignitor feed wire, This wire will provide excite voltage to the 100 amp regulator. That regulator replaces the 25 amp regulator. At the former 25 amp regulator connector, you will need to separate out wire 10, this needs to be connected to the starter terminal along with the heavy cable from the 100 amp regulator. That should do it.

M60 tanker

Recall that the 100 amp system was a kit installed at depot level. The kit would have had an instruction sheet inside the crate. Nobody I know has a copy. Here is what changed with the 100 amp kit on a M38A1 to the best of my recollection: Ammeter is replaced with voltmeter. Ammeter wires (see earlier provided schematic) are abandoned and taped up. A wire needs to be spliced into the ignitor feed wire, This wire will provide excite voltage to the 100 amp regulator. That regulator replaces the 25 amp regulator. At the former 25 amp regulator connector, you will need to separate out wire 10, this needs to be connected to the starter terminal along with the heavy cable from the 100 amp regulator. That should do it.
Do you know the number at the regulator for the ingnitor wire. I think there is no voltage going to the regulator on any of the wires. Wire F going to the regulator does not any voltage and the horn wire that spliced is not there.

M60 tanker

According to DA Pamphlet 750-33, pin F needs to go hot +24 volts when the ignition switch is turned on.
I think I have found the problem I don't have any voltage on the F wire going into the regulator. Should this wire have voltage all the time or only with the switch on.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My regulator makes a very audible "clunk" when field power is applied. Is your regulator a simple box or does it have a cylindrical finned top? It's possible your system is shot.

M60 tanker

My regulator makes a very audible "clunk" when field power is applied. Is your regulator a simple box or does it have a cylindrical finned top? It's possible your system is shot.
It has the cylindrical finned top. When I plugged the main connection to the regulator I hear a clicking noise in the regulator.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, do you have a selenium rectifier (in the grille) or one with discrete diodes? The selenium looks like a stack of sheet metal plates. They tend to fail due to age. Suggest you replace it with one of the newer types with diodes.

M60 tanker

Hmm, do you have a selenium rectifier (in the grille) or one with discrete diodes? The selenium looks like a stack of sheet metal plates. They tend to fail due to age. Suggest you replace it with one of the newer types with diodes.
Yes I have the old style rectifier that is in the grill. A bad rectifier will not let a generator charge. Is there anyway to check the rectifier

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the good one. Picture from Rapco's ebay listing. Oh and make sure you disconnect the batteries before you mate the connectors!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks