• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m416 shackles/bolts/hub conversion

kjg26

I know this has been done, however i am having a hard time finding information on it. I want to convert my m416 axle to a 5 on 4.5 hub. I want to be able to match my jeep bolt pattern while retaining the hand brake. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Also, when removing the leaf springs i discovered the back right shackle on the spring side is reverse threaded, no problem. I, however, want to convert to standard H-shackles. Do i need to drill out the mounts or do they simply press in ? What shackles can I use?

Lastly, the front spring mount (frame pivot), my bolts were pressed into the frame bracket/spring. Do I HAVE to use press in bolt or can I use standard grade 8 bolts for this point?

Thanks

Keith

kjg26

also, i have noticed, while browsing builds, that some of the m416 trailers have 3 cross members while others have 2. Mine has one half way between the axle and the front of the frame and one half way between the axle and the back of the frame. What gives?

Whiterabbit

Shackles- To convert over to rubber bushed normal shackles you'll have to find poly bushes that'll fit in the large mount holes left from removing the standard C shackle assm. If you want more strength use M38A1 shackles. They are C shackles but with a plate that ties the legs of the C to each other. Plenty strong, strong enough for Uncle Sam for years and years.
If you use a standard bolt up front on the spring mount it has the tendency to rotate and possibly wear out the mount. True, most vehicles and trailers just use a bolt in there but Uncle Sam thought it out and spent a lil' more building a great trailer and put a non rotating greaseable bolt in there. Anything else would be a down grade. You really would need a steel sleeved poly or rubber bush in there if you use a bolt in there.
I have 3 crossmembers. 1 at the frt spring mount, 1 above the axle, 1 at the rear spring mount. Mine is a '67 M762.

harryhr

I'm having a hard time finding a left hand side brake drum with hub assembly and brake shoe assembly/flange with spindle. I have a M416 trailer that I started to restore but ran into the problem of a rusted solid hub. Tried everything to get it tore down so I can replace the bearings. Now I cannot find anyone that has the parts I need.