• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M42 duster

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wish you luck .. i can't answer your question but I had a column of them blow by me on a tank trail decades ago , they seemed to be fairly quick buggers .. I managed to somehow snap a pic of one of them perfectly framed in the pass window of my M52A1 as we were running at speed parallel to each other , will post when I find it

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold a non-runner that was incomplete 5 years ago for $15000. One was posted on facebook this week that was in pieces and allegedly complete for $50,000. A clean runner with release paperwork went for $220,000 (advertised, not sure of actual sale price) 2 years back. Armor is a pricey game as it's a scarce market and owners are typically private people. Fortunately the M42 duster isn't "that" popular and it shares lots of components with the M41 Walker bulldog so there's some ability to obtain parts from European sources if you're willing to pay.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got time to find the picture I mentioned in an above post .. As mentioned, had a column of Dusters blow by me on a tank trail decades ago , they seemed to be fairly quick buggers .. I managed to somehow snap a pic of one of them perfectly framed in the passenger window of my M52A1 as we were running at speed on parallel dirt trails, as if we were pacing each other.. A bit blurry as we both were doing around 35

20230303_131749 copy.jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I forgot yesterday, but remembered today!. If what you want isn't there, lemme know what you want and I can take detailed pics.

Both of these are still ARMY owned, therefore, we do not run them. They are intact, still have everything needed to function, but not ours, so the only thing we do is paint them and TRY to keep them clean. The trees in the compound were very over grown and a few months ago we had them trimmed. The interiors need cleaning.

One of these is going back to TACOM as well as an M75...don't need to babysit 2 things. In the first pic, the one on the left should be leaving. IIRC, the flash hiders are somewhere in one of them. Need toM42.jpgM42 1.jpgM42 2.jpgM42 3.jpgM42 4.jpgM42 5.jpgM42 6.jpgM42 7.jpgM428.jpg go through them both before one leaves.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they actually have plans for the duster and m75? or are they going to the torch?
There is actually a list of people waiting for tracked things. Dunno if it is for a gate guard or what. I do know that another Museum folded and the ARMY has a mess of stuff on loan to them and they are swamped trying to get their stuff out of the folded facility and we just added two more things.

Bradym114

There is actually a list of people waiting for tracked things. Dunno if it is for a gate guard or what. I do know that another Museum folded and the ARMY has a mess of stuff on loan to them and they are swamped trying to get their stuff out of the folded facility and we just added two more things.
Sounds like a good time for the government to start selling the stuff to collectors. I know I'd have a nice, air-conditioned shop for that duster to relax in.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as they are owned by .gov, they are not supposed to be operated. Even things with no power in them. Rumor has it that a facility took in a non powered tracked vehicle, transplanted a power pack into it and was operating it. When .gov came to inspect, get it back, whatever, they found it operational. It was a very large issue.

Parts for things are hard to come by, expensive and they are kind of a PITA to work on...as I get older anyway. After seeing exactly how much work a tracked vehicle is, while cool, fun as he'll, the maintenance involved is for someone like .gov or someone with very deep pockets. The fun to money spent ratio is tilted to the money spent side.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the MVPA convention was at Huntsville, a group of us got to tour Anniston. There is a place there that stored 'extra' vehicles that could be requisitioned by museums or as 'gate guards' located at about 33.6150545,-85.9774462. Lot more buildings in that area now, so they may have moved it to another place.

319cssb

When the MVPA convention was at Huntsville, a group of us got to tour Anniston. There is a place there that stored 'extra' vehicles that could be requisitioned by museums or as 'gate guards' located at about 33.6150545,-85.9774462. Lot more buildings in that area now, so they may have moved it to another place.
I would want to make one my property guard. I’d even promise to become a museum if I would get one

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went on that tour also , there was some amazing stuff packed away in that warehouse !!!! I would have loved one the M38A1's with the rocket launcher !!!!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Arkansas Air and Military Museum is in line for a duster from that East coast museum they are closing, or at least they told us we were first in line since we gave back two Cobras gun ships this year. Also, Camp Robinson outside Little Rock has two on display, one as a gate guard and the other at the base museum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks