• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43B1 Part-out and scrap or sell whole?

I have a 1963 M43B1 that i have to get rid of pretty quick. I have the engine in pieces and i just needs a cleaning and new pistons to be running. Would it be easier to sell as a lot or scrap the body and sell of some usable parts (i.e. lights, alternator, starter etc.) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lonesome715

I for one get sick of seeing people scrap these vehicles becuase "it is easier". Those types of projects are rarely easy to begin with. If scrap pricing is all you want sell it for that or just give it to some one who will do something with it.

Wolf.Dose

If you are not the person to handel that issue, you are wrong in the MV bussines, where bussines does not mean to make money with it, it means to maintain them under any circumstances.
I agree with Lonesome 715!

Kaiser Jeep M715 since 1982
J24KAI since 1988
DKW Sport 250 since 1980

Wolf

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK guys...calm down. Airbornebandsman is one of the CAMO group members and has received PCS orders...can't take the vehicle with him.
I know he would NEVER part it out if he could save it but time is short for him.

Lets just make this easy...Mick I will buy the ambulance back from you...so see? The problem is solved.

See ya next Saturday Mick.:-D

Thanks PB. I am glad it will go to someone with the resources to restore this great vehicle, and not the scrapyard. When I got the M43 I had every intention of fixing it up. I had resources lined up and everything was moving along nicely. But sometimes things just fall through and don't work like you want them too. As most of you know an E-5 in the Army doesn't make all that much, especially with a family of 5 to support. So even though I hate to get rid of it (and waited longer than I should have to do so hoping the IRS would come through.) I had to make a choice. Don't judge something/someone until you know the facts.

Wolf.Dose

O.K, this clears the situation.
However, the initial statement did not give the neccessary information to see the background. Of course, if a project overcomes the awailable time frame or the expences eat to much in a foreseeable time, it is legal to try to sell a vehicle to good hands. Just the part 'Would it be easier to sell as a lot or scrap the body and sell of some usable parts' made me thinking the other way, even if the intention behind if was good in the way of our hobby.
Wolf

Lonesome715

I was not judging and did not mean to come across that way. I was just saying scrapping should not even be and option. I have given vehicles away to good home sbefore just to keep them from the scrap yard. Sure, I lost some money but those trucks are now in good hands. All too quickly the scrap thing becomes an option and I just wish it would not even be considered.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Columbus Antique Militaria Organization....a bunch of Combat Vets/retirees/active duty and a few civilians dedicated to preserving military vehicles and equipment/uniforms and sharing them with the public.
Our mission is to educate the public in the military experience by providing actual vehicles, equipment, uniforms, and a limited amount of inert (rubber duckie) weapons that they can see, feel and even wear or ride on/in.
We are a living history group as opposed to a museum where they offer "The Past Behind Glass".
We have stuff from WWII - current except no current vehicles or rubber duckie weapons.

Just a bunch of guys and gals trying to keep the American Spirit alive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks