• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M44a2 engine mods

IMA944T

Looking at buying a 1971 M44a2 and it's the non turbo model and would like to know if anybody has any tech spec's or knowledge on installing a turbo from the turbo model engine? Have heard that non turbo model could be different in CI displacement poss.
Have found pieces it would take, but need to know if there are any spec's on what turbo engine has injector timed at etc. Also if there is any differences in the two engines other than turbo. Like the compression, injector sizing, bore stroke etc. Would also like any help on other web sites that may help on this issue.

IMA944T

Thanks for the info, It was more than I've recieved after several emails. I wonder if you could use a after market style turbo for better performance? Would like to be able to run 60 mph and maybe 50 on hills if poss. Going to look into some hub lock outs and hopefully some other stuff if people will reconmend for gaining slight improvment in highway speed. Not really worried about what it does loaded. Anybody know how much boost turbo engine gets in stock form? I need a Gale Banks rebuilt performance turboed diesel engine. Something that would spin 3000 to 3200 reliablly, Yeah Yeah thats what I need.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westech runs his deuce 60 MPH everywhere he goes. I'll do mine up to 60 for short periods of time but feel better at 55 and even better at 52

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beleve it or not the stock turbos will put out more CFM's than the engine can digest. I'm working on a "d" model here at work and have gotten it to push 618CFM at 11PSI on the test bench. When i got it it produced 523CFM at 11PSI. I've done alot of machine work to the charge air casing and exaust gas casing. The orignal air filters are only rated for about 390CFM. And with out some serious porting of the intake and heads i dout the engine could ever move more than 400 CFM. My truck can easily pull redline in high gear climbing the toll bridge here. And i'm running the stock "c" turbo on it for now. Although i do have the fuel rate turned up alot.

IMA944T

Whats the easy way to tell the diff between C and D turbo? 11 pounds of boost seems real low for a desiel engine even if it's a older one. Where is a good place to learn about the different turbos and other stuff for engine.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11 PSI is a happy medium we use for flow testing. It's not at idle and not at max output.
The easiest way to tell a C from a D is to look at the tag. But if you have heard one before you can hear a C wistle from very long distances. Some love the wistle and others can't stand it. The D model is quieter and is better built. It has a internal heat shield that alowes it to handle more abuse. I'll post you some pics soon.

yorkgulch2

Has anyone tried a better flowing air cleaner and ram air? Since the increased air flow is really only needed for pulling hills at higher speeds ram air might be very effective for little money. Or is the real limatation in the head?
At my altitude 9400 ft lack of air is alway the biggest problem.
Test ram air pics later today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks