• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m45a1?

rickdavis81

Hopefully I'm in the right forum, sorry if I'm not. Found a guy selling a 1975 5 ton military dump truck. He says it's a M45a-1 with a mack diesel but I can't find any info on google about it. I thought it should be a m929 or m930 but I don't know much about the subject, yet lol. Is there such a thing? Any info?

dump truck.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally manufactured 1965 or so. Good for farm or hobby use, but probably not something you want to put on a construction site with an 18 yr old driver.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Looking at the pic it should be a Mack engine. If it was rebuilt in 1975 there is a good chance it was used in Vietnam. All of the rebuilds I've seen sold from the gov. with the rebuild year as the year of the truck.

rickdavis81

He said he bought it from the highway dept and he had a pic of the title. Said m45-a1 but I'm sure dmv screwed it up lol. It'd just be for me as a hobby truck to haul gravel and stuff. How much should it be able to haul? Was looking at 2.5 tons but this one seemed ok, more of a want than a need. Has 28k miles on it.

pmramsey

The picture and the description do not add up. It sure looks like a Mack. However, trucks built on the M45A1 Chassis, ran on the LDS-427 engine, and were a 2 1/2-ton, 6 X 6, with 9.00 X 20 tires

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think I can still see the "Tea pot" air cleaner setup which indicates M51A1 with the Mack engine still.

I have a nice M51A2 and as NDT says, it will haul more gravel etc., than will fit in the dump bed. I kinda wish it was a Mack but then having "free" fuel for it is kinda nice as well.

Like most older MV's, it's good for a hobby truck or maybe farm use, but it's too slow for on-road use and would require the addition of boards or metal welded to the bed to haul what it's capable of.

rickdavis81

It's about 280 miles away. I'm guessing driving it home would be a poor choice. We own some big flatbed goosenecks but it would put us way over legal weight limit. If I can get him down on price I'll start looking for a shipping company.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks