• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51 gasser vs multifuel deuce?

ivbeenrokd

I have only owned one MV, that being the deuce in my avatar. I'm wondering what I could expect differently out of an M51 gasser?

Any thoughts/experience is greatly appreciated.

John

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you buy a gasser, I see a lot of gas stations in your future..........

AMGeneral

Well,other thah the ovbious size differences in the 2,the bare facts are as follows.

The 602 will manage about 3 to 5 mpg average empty,the multi will usually make 8 to 10 depending on the fuel used.

The 5 ton has power steering,the deuce does not.

5 tons have a better braking system in my opinion,same design just larger shoes/drums.

The 602 has about 2 times the torque of the LDT multifuel,about 100 more HP.

The 5 ton has a direct 5th gear trans,the multi has a 5th gear OD trans.

If you go by what the data plate says,the deuce will top out at 56 mph,the 5 ton at 60 mph.

Everything drivetrain related will weigh about twice as much on the 5 ton vs the deuce.

Plan on about 15 gallons of 90W for a complete drivetrain oil change(diffs,trans,t- case)in the 5 ton.

Fuel tank holds 78 gal vs 50 for the deuce.

Depending on your state laws,you may need a CDL for the 5 ton.

The 602 is a good engine,but parts are getting harder to find(manifolds,exhaust,gasket sets).

The usual tune ups are required every now and then(plugs,points,wires,cap,rotor,coil) on the 6602.

The 602 has 100.3333333 ci per cylinder,the multi has 79.66666666 ci per cylinder.

The 602 also has a special pulley for the alternator/generator,don't lose it!!

People following the 5 ton with the 602 will have to stop every now and then to let thier eyes quit watering and catch their breath,that beast throws out some mean fumes!!

That's about all I can think of right now.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Here is a M-55 5 ton gasser doing a full pull at its own pace. Slow, steady, and ground shaking. Notice the sled pull up off the ground near the end. Notice that it only has the spare as its rear axle weight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8CaZLrkWmo[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks