• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M51A2 Front Wheel Wobble?

04tdiwagon

Hey guys, I am looking at buying what I believe is a 67 M51A2. It's a 5 ton 6x6 with the 465 multifuel engine and the dump bed. I talked to the place that owns it currently and they say the front wheels start wobbling pretty bad once you get some speed up. Any idea what that may be? I think I could get it for about 1000 bucks, seem like a good deal? It has about 46k miles on it, not sure on the hours yet. Supposed to run but the batteries are dead they say. I am familar with steering systems on just about every light vehicle out there but this not something I have looked under before and want to know what I need to look for when I go look at it this saturday. Any if the batteries are dead, I can still jump start it and drive it since it has such low electrical draws right? Let me know what you guys think! I will look at it this weekend and see if I can get some pictures up of everything!
Thanks
Mack

jatonka

It will be a drag link or steering box problem if both front wheels wobble while driving. One wheel, indicates a tie rod end. All parts are available, $1000 is very reasonable for a M51A2. JT out

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be as easy as a low tire or a tire that is messed up.

supermechanic

Agreed on price, buy it now, before someone else does.
I had a bad shake-wobble on mine, If I hit a hole or a big bump at speed, the front end would jump like a shot-at rabbit. Truck bounced so bad I whacked my head on the cab top a few times (which might explain a few things about me).
I looked at the wheel bearings, tierod ends, ect.
Never did find the problem.
Because of poor steering traction, I changed to commercial 12x22.5 tires on the front.
I have not had the wobble-shake since.
It may be tire related, I just know what worked in my case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks