• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52 Tractor with M172A1 Low Bed

ikalimnos

Hello Boys,

I would ask for your expertise if anyone here can help me.

I have a M52 5-ton tractor and I came across a LowBed M172A1 in excellent condition.

I have read that M172A1 was coupled originally with the 10ton M123.

My question is if I can tow the M172A1 with my M52?

Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello Boys,

I would ask for your expertise if anyone here can help me.

I have a M52 5-ton tractor and I came across a LowBed M172A1 in excellent condition.

I have read that M172A1 was coupled originally with the 10ton M123.

My question is if I can tow the M172A1 with my M52?

Thanks!
Probably has the larger kingpin?

Itll tow it. The truck can handle it. Safely. Will be a slow go of it though. I towed one last month about 50miles behind my 923 and a double axle dolly and she ran 65 no problem.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Absolutely. The 5 ton is intended to pull the M172A1, but not at the full 25 ton trailer capacity. There should be a data plate on the trailer listing the derate trailer capacity.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the multi-fuel engined truck's air compressor was underrated for this.

I Know I read it somewhere in a manual.

Are you restricted on width in Greece? The trailer is 115" wide.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the M172s have a removable king pin and the trailer should come with both. It has been years since I had one, but I think the king pin is accessible through a door on top above the king pin.

Scrounger

I believe the M172s have a removable king pin and the trailer should come with both. It has been years since I had one, but I think the king pin is accessible through a door on top above the king pin.
The king pin has two ends. There is a locking collar that holds it in place.