• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A1 Horn button wire replacement

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any info on how to replace the horn button wire in the steering column on an M52A1 with the "new style" steering gear. The new style steering column only extends about a foot past the fire wall where it then connects to a U Joint on a shaft that goes to the steering gear. The -20 and -35 manuals I have only show the old style.

If there is no documentation, can someone give me quick overview of what it takes to replace the wire.

This set up is not like the M35A2 where the wire comes out the end of the shaft. There is some sort of brush assembly where the horn wire attaches to the steering column tube.

Jim

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am assuming you have the M809 series Ross steering gear?? I just replaced my horn wire about a month ago. When I purchased a horn button kit (the newer smaller horn button) the instructions (and a new wire) for replacing the old wire in the 809 series steering column were included. I can send you copy of these instruction if you would like them. Send PM with your info (and pics of your system) if interested.

I also have a part source for the horn contact brush if you need that.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks