• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 air leak

panzerwillie

Today i was taking care of all the air leaks, the only one left is in the vent for the tranfercase, makes me believe something to do with the front axle engagement , can anybody coment on thiis, what will be the steps to fix it, maybe has something to do with the deep water system, it has a especial name but just can't type it, but i believe its not active, its a small leak but with time i;m sure it will be get bigger

poppop

I can't give you much help on fixing but maybe can shed a little light on whats there. The five tons have an air shift to change the t-case from forward to reverse. When you shift into reverse or first you should hear a hiss and a clunk. That is the air piston ingauging the proper direction drive. You probably have a bad air piston. Also on a five ton never allow the truck to roll in the opposite direction with the trans still in gear. The front and rear axles will be trying to rotate in opposite directions. When shifting from reverse always shift into first to set the transfer for forward movement. If I am not correct on this info maybe someone will chime in.

panzerwillie

Yes i can hear that and if i'm not mistaken from previous old trucks is a clutch brake to allow to engage foward or reverse with out grinding , and maybe something else but my air leak its in the tranfercase not the trany thansk

poppop

Those air pistons are in the transfer, not the tranny. It is shifting the the transmission that activates them. I don't think these trucks have clutch brakes to aid in shifting.

panzerwillie

Ok thanks for the heads up , there is also what seems like air lines going in to the trany as well but my leak its in the tranfercase its minor now but i'm sure it will increase

poppop

I have never been into them. I had hoped someone with experience would speak up. You should be able to find a TM on them in the tecnical section. I don't know any of the numbers, you will just have to look down the list and try to figure out which one covers the T-case and it should be in there. Basically it will be figuring out how access is gained to them and then locating the leak. It could be a piston or a line going to them inside.

I just dug thru my TM's and found the one for the 809 series trucks. Everything should be the same on the older trucks. It is TM 9-2320-260-34 and you can find it in the technical section. I crawled under mine for a look and the piston can be seen sticking out the front of the transfer with the air lines attached. It appears some disassembly will be required as I don't think the piston will clear the flange on the input shaft. It should be fairly straight forward and there is plenty of room to work on it under the truck.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

I could add something unfriendly to this, howerver you seem to own a Sd.Kfz 251 made in Checoslovalcia (Techoslovakai) by Skoda. This vehicle should bring you the minimun skill, if you maintain it by yourself, to maintain a simple made M-series truck.
Blowing air noise always has somthing to do with a leak or a design function. So you first have to find out where it is blowing before you ask questions. We do not hear the air blowing noise!
Wolf

poppop

I guess I may have missed the obvious when I read the word leak, assuming you had a leak. The fact is you are suppossed to hear a hiss when you shift into reverse or first. If that hiss is all you are hearing it may not be a leak at all. It may be working as intended

I think the above poster thinks the picture in your avatar is the vehicle you are working on which I don't think is the case.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Even if I was wrong with the estimation of the Sd.Kfz 251, the basic is: were is the noise of the air coming from....
That was the intention of my statement.
Anyway, the M-series trucks are of relatively simple design, their basic design, as far as the basic vehicle is below 100, is from the early 50's, beefed up in the early 60's. The later M818 series is not so much more complicate in design. And those over 900 represent the state of the art of the mid to late 80's. The "new" M10?? COE truck series is a design from the mid 90's. The military needs nowadays many years to adopt new technology! The Freigthliner Tractors which were purchased in the early 90's were passing almost 10 years in the Depots before they came on the road in Germany due to many problems with the engines and the automatic transmissions. The "old" AM General tractors for that time had to contiune their job, 10 years longer than scheduled. These AMG came up on the road in Germany when I was in the German Army in 1976/77. By that time the most powerfull arround.
I have to work on trucks of the actual design, means 2009, and on those which will be on sale in the future. The DD15 engine for me is not new, even it is just less than a year on the market.
Wolf

panzerwillie

thanks for all the post , the air leak its from the tranfercase with the engine of and the system full of air, makes me believe that what ever the air is use on the tranfercase is leaking out into the unit it self, is not a lot but i can hear and if i put my hand on top of the vent i can feel it, i have a list of things to do and will deal with out when i work my way down, for now i have a oil leak on the air compressor and want to deal with that first any help will be nice it seems simple and i think is coming from the base gasket, by the way my half track its very easy to work on it and not has complex as this M52A2 and the only thing i have not taken apart on it , its the main sprokets but its on schedule
thansk guys:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks