• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m52A2 HWY

panzerwillie

On a M52A2 whats the best crusing speed with direct 5th gear on 1100x20 if everyting is good with the engine also, which OD 5 th gear tranny will fit and is it a direct fit or there needs to be any modifications to anything including the clutch, also if i put super singles 1400x20 what road speed will be gain over the 1100x20 just wondering after driving one yesterday on the road {probably poor maintance and maybe 1 or 2 bad injectors} it strugle to maintain 45 mph i would think this smaller litter engine will run 55 MPH around 2500 to 2600 RPM , i think form vedios and pictures of M818 with OD 5th gears and 6.72 rears they cruise around 2100 RPM at 55 MPH and sure the TRQ form the 885 CI compare the 468 inch multifuel would have something to do with it even do its NA to the turbocharge multifuel but i know that OD its a big help on any DIESEL engine thank you guys...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be able to do 53 pretty easy. Remember, and I pointed this out in one of your other threads, the 809 series trucks DO NOT have 6.72 gears, they have the identical 6.44 gears that the M52A2 has. The -A1 trucks (Mack Power) have the 6453 tranny as well as the 809 series. Your multi will suffer significant power loss with one of these trannys. The 6453 is a direct bolt in. As far as the tires, I'm no help, haven't dealt with 5 tons for 20 years!

panzerwillie

thank you for the reply, i would guess the lost of power with of this tranys haras to do with the difrents in the gear rations in the 4 gears before the OD 5th where the direct 5th has a extra before 5th, but after drivring this truck with fuel problem it seem to pull its weigth {empty} even short shifting, it seem very strong how about the M818 transmissing after getting under one for about 30 minutes yesterday they look identical even to the inperfections in the casting :?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have some bolt together rims you could put bigger meats on. The 395 tires would make for better road speed!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When i drove mine home from San Antiono last year. It had a bad head gasket. And was running on 5 cylinders. Too much water entering cylinder #3. Even running that rough it could easily run 55MPH. I had to stop at each rest area to add water and oil. But it had plenty of power. If you have a truck that can't pull redline in high gear with 11:00-20's than you have a maintance problem. I installed a spare engine i had and it can easily drag my M127 empty at 55MPH. Although I don't push it that hard. 45MPH is much better on fuel consumption.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These trucks have two strikes against them from the get-go......the multi-fuel engine and the low gears. I had one for a while and after a 700 mile road trip I swore it off as a long distance vehicle. Then I traded it even for a M275.
That being said there are ways to get more speed.......turn up the engine (keeping in mind that it will build heat when working under a load, a pyrometer is a must) and put taller gears in it (change transmissions).
As stated above you can get a little more top end with taller tires but pulling power will suffer.
Another thing to remember is that you have an old brake system on these vehicles.....I would be very careful when operating them over 50 MPH with a big load. There are way too many idiots out on the road with bad brains and good brakes.

panzerwillie

thank you for the post, this one i being driving has a maintance and injector problem, it shake a little at idle and has a little smoke which makes me believe has a dripie injector, i also notice that after sitting for 15 minutes off you try to crank it and it lost its prime, now i look it over and i could not find a fuel pump to bring fuel to the injection pump {new to multifuel} makes me belive ther its a electricc pump in the tank , also there is 2 fuel filters by the block and one in the frame under the fender tha feeds the bottom of the injection pump with what looks like 3/8 or 7/16 line a ;ot to learn:roll:

panzerwillie

Yes i notice the brake pedal whats a bit hard at the bigging on this one , the only thing had to compare to whats a few duce and have but they where in any better shape, not looking for more that 65mmph but if i pull a trailer with my 10 ton half track will have good brake on the trailer and exhaust brake , which makes me belive would be easier to change the heads on a M818 and put a jacobs engine brake and with this gearing should stop, just contemplating a road trip from ohio to miami by my self no radio or TV and for get about cell phone with the roar of the turbo boy got to love it:-D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once owned an M543A2 wrecker with the non-overdrive transmission that you have. Max road speed was 47 MPH and I believe that was at 2,500 RPM. Larger tires will help with the top speed, but you will lose power. Switching to the overdrive transmission should allow you to drive at 53 MPH or so without a problem as Kenny says.

panzerwillie

I remenber back in the days driving 230 hp macks with maxidyne 5 speeds pulling 60000 lbs to the governor with 4.10 gears i.m talking 65 macks sure they where larger litter engines compare to the multifuel , but when you compare 6.44 to 4.10 with with about the same tire most be in the desine of the multifuel, i now the OD will make the truck loose some power between gears i have a 94 12 valve dodge i modefied the pump and turbo it has 3.31 gears and 2 OD so i can run 90 MPH at 2000 RPM but sure pulling the trailer its hard to hit the second OD however i can split the gears between shift like a 10 SPD may i need a LL8 OD like my good all dumptruck days its the M818 any better i would defenetly turbo intercool it..:-D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps, I missed this in an earlier thread. What will you be doing with the M52A2? Is it strictly for pleasure driving or will you haul a trailer? Highway or local driving?

gimpyrobb

Bruce, he indicated to me this will be a toy. Maybe pull a trailer once in a while, but NOT a work horse.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Robb! That information would have changed my suggestion. Since it mainly will be a pleasure vehicle, I suggest increasing the tire size to 1400s. Try them out BEFORE you swap in an overdrive transmission as the larger tires may give you enough road speed. If you want more, go with the overdrive tranny, too.

gimpyrobb

I think the bigger tires will be better too. When I went from 900s to 395s I noticed a little more heat on the pyro, but no power loss.

panzerwillie

yes thas correct its a toy mainly maybe a few times a year will pull the trailer with the hafl track once completed , but i will probably drive the truck a few time a week plus weekends and up to orlando FL some times so it needs to roll 65MPH i will modified a few things on the engine including intercooler maybe play around with the compressor on the turbo will see just trying to figuere out a few last details before the buy :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks