• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 trailer adaptor 24 volt-12 volt

panzerwillie

Being using the M52A2 lately to move some trailers around, even do my trailer
has LED 12-36 volts it has a standar big plug, so today i made a adaptor using
3 28volt to 13.5 volt inverters i have had for some time, use fueses and a trailer plug from a generator trailer we put regular ligths, wire it all up and tested works good here are some pictures :-D
GEDC0405.jpg

GEDC0406.jpg

GEDC0412.jpg

GEDC0413.jpg

GEDC0414.jpg

GEDC0415.jpg

GEDC0407.jpg

GEDC0410.jpg

GEDC0411.jpg

GEDC0408.jpg

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! I bet it was cheaper to make than the commercially available ones. I'm going to have to rig something up for my tractor as well.

panzerwillie

Hard to put a prize on it , because i got the inverters cheap a year or so ago, i would guess in parts $120 or so , i had the military trailer plug
thanks

panzerwillie

Probably if i could get the inverters again at good prize, it also works hooking a military trailer to a 12 volt source just need to add a double military female ends

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Probably if i could get the inverters again at good prize, it also works hooking a military trailer to a 12 volt source just need to add a double military female ends
So are you saying it can also take an input of 12V and output 24V so as to energize the lights on an M-series trailer?

panzerwillie

this particular inverters work either way , but there is less amps when using the 12 volt to 24volt imput, but i have a set of tow truck magnetic LEDS that i use when towing a military trailer that has not being converter to LEDS or 12 volts

panzerwillie

Its being a long time since i did this plus i sold it with the tractor, its a strait deal and there its lots of info here on how to make one all you need is the pin out from a military plug to a civic one and just need some type of voltage step down in between, i seen military ones go on sale from time to time on ebay similar to what i did but with resistors instead of the inverters i used....

rcflyer70

IMG_1532.jpg

I took a somewhat different approach... Instead of using resistors or regulators I used relays. I'm currently rebuilding my M52A2 and have built a box that will operate 24v relays via a standard military connector. I purchased a Pulse Tech power distributor that provides balanced 12v to the relays in order power civilian trailers which I will definitely be pulling. It works great!
The Pulse Tech power distributor has another advantage when it comes to civilian trailer brakes. I am also installing a Wagner air to electric brake controller which will be supplied by the Pulse Tech.