• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52A2 (updated pics)

benni72

Moving right along group. sure has come a long way. hopefully, without any major issues, it will be back together within a month or two. the truck seems to be fighting me a bit going back togehter considering everything is brand new or completely rebuilt. went from bare frame to the the way it is now in 2 months. see the before pics in my other post M52A2. gotta make room for my next two projects coming in shortly so the pressure is on not to mention baby #2 on way and due in sept. 14th. thanks and enjoy pics.

Attachments

benni72

thanks scott,
i try to pay close attention to details even if you see them or not. color is 686 from rapco.i'm pretty happy with the paint but it just stays so soft for such a long time. i went with the gulf paint sachem even though chances of a multi fuel tractor ever seeing the gulf region are pretty slim. i try to mix up my mv's paint sachems, my m151 is vietnam era, my m35a2 is 3 color camo nato.

deuceman51

The inverted V or chevron was a marking that the coalition forces used to mark their vehicles in desert storm. It is very similar concept that the allies used to mark their planes for D-day with the white stripes on the wings. It makes it easier to see friend or foe. My m35a2c also has those markings from desert storm, and i'm still finding sand deposits in my truck in the nooks and crannies.

benni72

thanks alpha, the frame is undercoated or at least the front portion is and from the cab back the inside of the frame is undercoated only. aervoe makes this product called under coating and sound insulation spray. it's pretty decent stuff and it drys flat and even like paint unlike normal under coating spray that drys all bumpy and messy looking. it is very durable and very easy to work with and its difinitly not the same as what the military used before i sand blasted and scraped 50 lbs of to get to bare steel.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow very nice:
Did you sandblast everything? It certainly rivals a complete depot rebuild. You would be surprized what some old trucks got to do because they were property of a National Guard unit. Dueces were everywhere I went in Iraq and even some in Afghanistan. I know M818's made it to Desert Storm so some M52's may have as well although I can not confirm that.

You are setting the standard on the East Coast working along the same timeline as DMA on his HEMMT out on the West Coast

Thanks for the update

Armada

Great work Adam!! I love the 'in progress' pictures you are posting. The attention to detail is what makes it a first class restoration. Can't wait to see it finished.

vtdeucedriver

benni72 said:
thanks scott,
i try to pay close attention to details even if you see them or not. color is 686 from rapco.i'm pretty happy with the paint but it just stays so soft for such a long time. i went with the gulf paint sachem even though chances of a multi fuel tractor ever seeing the gulf region are pretty slim. i try to mix up my mv's paint sachems, my m151 is vietnam era, my m35a2 is 3 color camo nato.

Dam adam, I think I am going to cry!! As far as multi's in the sandbox. They were there, I have a friend who was with 7th trans, he showed me pics of his truck that he drove........M52A2.

Adam, great work! Congrats!
As for the inverted chevron mystery, my deuce has them too, on both cabin doors. The truck has never been out of Germany as far as I can tell, so it has nothing to do where the truck was assinged to, rather there must be a tactical meaning like visibility or easy recognisability to it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Wow very nice:
Did you sandblast everything? It certainly rivals a complete depot rebuild. You would be surprized what some old trucks got to do because they were property of a National Guard unit. Dueces were everywhere I went in Iraq and even some in Afghanistan. I know M818's made it to Desert Storm so some M52's may have as well although I can not confirm that.

You are setting the standard on the East Coast working along the same timeline as DMA on his HEMMT out on the West Coast

Thanks for the update
Consider it confirmed, David. I have seen pictures from Desert Storm in 1991 showing M52s and other M5X series trucks in the sandbox back then.

Very nice M52 by the way!

benni72

thanks for all the confirmations on a m52a2's being in the gulf. makes me feel much better about being a correct restoration or close to for that period. yes entire truck was disassembled, removed all under coating, degreased to no end, and completely sand blasted. took about a year in time to sand blast everything and prime. charged up the air today and only found 1 leak, shocked! the fuel transfer light is red and yes green is correct color, just coundn't find any green lense covers so went red. originaly had orange but looked like the switch was left on and burnt out pump and lense cover on dash. i did a lot of research on the inverted V and found the most help was right here on SS. i don't remember what post it was but it gave all the sizes and demensions of the V's. it's 1 1/2 wide and the rest i honestly don't remember but if anyone is interested i'll look through my notes to find height and width. thanks again and i will continue to post pics as i go along.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Adam, that is flat out awesome. Outstanding, you have my highest respect.

:beer:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I look at project photos, and see shops and trucks like that... I just think to myself, "Where did I go wrong?"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks