• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543 boom cable

jfnemt1ff1

I was just checking the size of the boom cable it calls for 96 feet, but is it 7/16 or 1/2. I read the other posts but it looks like it goes back and fourth.
John

54reo

My M816 is 1/2" rope on the main load hoist (boom).

I can't recall how many feet even though I just re-roped it this summer with anti-rotation wire. I just put as much on the drum as possible (all but two of the grooves full) with the boom in the fully stowed (fully retracted and hook at the point sheaves) position.

The reason I left two grooves empty was that the side edge of the boom extends down far enough to contact the rope in that particular groove, causing it to bind.

54reo

I should add that this would only apply to the "Garwood" bed wreckers. The "Austin-Western" bed wreckers would be set-up differently on the drum/boom edge scenario.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Just for reference I had posted back in 07' when we had to re-string the M819 after the old wire failed during use. It used 105ft. of 9/16" dia. 6 x 19 fiber core wire rope with a nominal strength of 33,000lbs. It had 9/16" dia. before and the pulleys on the boom and sheave match the wire rope dia. I'm sure you could put a little more length on the drum if you wanted to.

It wasn't that bad of a job. There's a wedge in the drum that holds the wire. We had purchased a 400' reel and one end had a finished termination.

See attached pics of comparison between old and new terminations as well as how the wire rope seats in the pulleys.

(new on left, old on right)

Attachments

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M819 is a austin-western crane, so it may be different than the M543 garwood crane.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks