• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543/M35 winch PTO question

TaylorTradingCo

I just got around to checking out my wrecker I've had for nearly a year now.

Good news is after some fluid and bleeding the brakes worked great. I even drove it to my new shop I am moving to. Good thing too, because I don't have a trailer big enough to haul it.

Really good news is the crane on the back works, up & down, in & out, left & right swivel and cable in & out.

The only bad thing we found is that someone robbed the tranny PTO and driveshaft off of it that powers the front winch.

Looking at it, the cover plate (thank goodness they at least put a plate on it) looks to be the same size as the PTO's that go on my Deuce trucks. I have a single and double output tranny PTO for my Deuces laying around.

Here is my question. Does anyone know if a Deuce tranny PTO will work on a M543A2 multifuel wrecker?

Derek Taylor

CGarbee

I'll be the first to say that I don't know the answer to your question....but my first guess would be that they are not the same PTO since the transmissions are different and the drive gear for the PTO has to match the gear (tooth count/pitch and location) on the idle shaft that powers it. You may find that it is the same series of PTO and that all you have to do is tweak (change) the drive gear to make it work although it may be easier to source an entire PTO than to find the right gear... But someone else will have to chime in and provide a definitive answer for you.
I can say that the PTO port on the transmission has the same bolt pattern and cover plate because it is a SAE standard mount... Look at any PTO port and you'll notice that the cover plates and bolt patters are all six, eight, or ten (the "common" sizes) bolt.
A lot of the mounts on the running gear on military trucks is SAE standard: bellhousings, alternator/generator mounts, starters, accessory drives, etc. Makes it real nice if you want to swap parts around from one truck to another (including civilan parts) since you usually only have to change a pully, or a gear, or re-clock a part to make it work...

Great to hear that your wrecker is otherwise running/working/stopping... My M816 is getting a little surgery on the hydraulic tank this weekend and needs a little brake work (stops too well...).

Good luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks