• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A1 1600x20

Chief1900

I'm new to SS and would like to say hello to everyone. I am currently preparing a 1976 M54 for my fire station as a wildland truck. I have a pretty nice vehicle to work with and intend to leave it all orignal with the exception of what we will be putting in the bed of the cargo box. We have new od paint going on in a couple of weeks and are making or final repairs to the small problems we have found. My biggest question right now is what size tire I can get under the truck. I have seen post with 1600x20's under 818's but I'm not sure if they will fit. It currently has 1100x20's of course but we would like to gain the ground clearance and quite frankly the look of the super singles. If any one can help me out I would appreciate. it. Any info on affecting the articulation of the rear or scrubbing the bed would be nice. Would love to see some pics of M54 with 1400 or 1600's. Thanks
Junior, Monroe, North Carolina.

M1075

Chief1900 said:
I'm new to SS and would like to say hello to everyone. I am currently preparing a 1976 M54 for my fire station as a wildland truck. I have a pretty nice vehicle to work with and intend to leave it all orignal with the exception of what we will be putting in the bed of the cargo box. We have new od paint going on in a couple of weeks and are making or final repairs to the small problems we have found. My biggest question right now is what size tire I can get under the truck. I have seen post with 1600x20's under 818's but I'm not sure if they will fit. It currently has 1100x20's of course but we would like to gain the ground clearance and quite frankly the look of the super singles. If any one can help me out I would appreciate. it. Any info on affecting the articulation of the rear or scrubbing the bed would be nice. Would love to see some pics of M54 with 1400 or 1600's. Thanks
Junior, Monroe, North Carolina.
The 1600s will work, but key conisderations are how much weight will be you hauling and what is the planned operating environment?

Monty

My bobed M54,

The 16/20's fit fine for me but what are you going to use the truck for.
Hauling water may put the center of gravity to high and cause the truck to be unstable off road.

Attachments

Chief1900

Thanks for the replies. We intend to put about 12,000lb in the bed. My local obstacles will be mostly mud and mild terrain. The tallest part of my setup is only 38" to 39"'s in the bed. We are spreading out the load to keep it low, with the bulk of the weight directly over the rears. I thought we would go with the 1400's but may be able to get a deal on the 1600's. I'm gonna run the truck a while with the 1100's to see how it feels before we do anything with the tires. I've checked out the roscoe site rockman, Thanks. Most of thier stuff is steel tanks and heavy metal. We hope to keep our weight down with a poly tank in the bed instead of replacing the bed with a full body replacement. Monty, thats a good looking truck. I have a personal 54 that I hope to work on soon. Seriously considering if I should bob it. I'll try to get some pics up. Should be interesting, I have a wheel seal and to fix and the winch and pto to mount next week. New paint planned for the end of August.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks