• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2 recovery

AMGeneral

Well folks,another incident free recovery,I went to Joe Trapp's place today and picked up the M54 chassis I am gonna use to build a replicia of the Vietnam Guntruck "The Justifier".

I also stopped by the SC Railroad museum and visited with Ferro and EMD567 for lunch,no pictures though,I forgot the camera:doh:.

Joe used a deuce to pull start the M54 and installed a bed back on it,then pull started it again to load on the trailer,pics tomorrow afternoon,I promise.

Just FYI,I will be converting this truck to a Mack ENDT 673 vs the LDS 465 1A that's currently in it.

AMGeneral

DUG,

As of right now,i'll probably put the multi in the M51 dump I have,it was originally a M51A2.

Driver,

I will definetly appreicate any photos of the truck you may have,I am gonna try and get it mostly finished in time for the Gathering in KY this year.

Driver523

Here's just a couple pictures to wet the ole taste buds---The Justifier Was one of the finest gun trucks out there, for the first part of the war in VietNam they were the northern most trans company up there--POL--and northern most and POL is like oil and water in the world of war, but everything was "kinda" ok till Lam Son 719, The 57th TC was with the 26th GP but was assigned to a maintenence unit thus the 57th TC and not the 57th Trans Batt. the crew with names like Sgt. Wayne "Red Rogers, Roger "Hillbilly" Randolph, Claude Roberson, (Who was just 18 years old when he became the NCOIC) Dennis "cherry boy" Bute, Paul Bader (who most these photos belong too)--I can go on an on about this truck, I have sat and listened to stories about this truck and what the crew went through that just plain saddened me that our guys went through something like that----AM--This is truely one of the best trucks to Build----Here's a couple pics------------Driver

Attachments

AMGeneral

Well folks,I started working on the 54A2 today,getting it ready for it's upcoming transformation,got the mirrors off and the replacment turbo on,fuel filters changed,then ran out of daylight.

Hopefully it'll go from looking like pic 1 to pic 2 when I get done.

Attachments

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Well folks,despite the weather(30 degrees,rain/sleet/snow mix,no shop) I finally got to hear the A2 run with a turbo today,and got to take it on it's first drive(no top or heater).

I was impressed with the power this particular multifuel has,and with the amount of black smoke it puts out,I'm talking it blacks out the sun when you put you foot down.

Truck drives OK,but I did find out several interesting things about the engine,it's a normal non Thick Deck block(no TD cast in the block),and the ID tag states it's a LDT 465-1D engine vs a LDS(it does have LDS etched above LDT on the tag) and quotes it as 139 HP @ 2600 rpms.

DOM is 1987(?) with a reman date of 1993 etched in the data plate,would they Have forgotten to change the data plate during rebuild?

It runs great once it gets going,no lack of power,I think the fuel system is still gummed up from sitting.It runs quietly with no death rattles,actually quieter than my LDT in M35A2C.

more to come as I get time to get it roadworthy again.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Well folks,since I deleted the last video of the M54A2 I have,I made this one today,runs much better now,but alas,this engine is coming out of it and it will be replaced with a ENDT 673 Mack that I am building in my own personal "skunk works" here at the AO,especially for the Guntruck.

10/22/2011 /I have a possible connection for a better price on the steel for the gun box and I already have the winch kit for it,stay tuned!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=265EPAV4HDQ[/media]

Last edited:

AMGeneral

UPDATE!!!

Thanks to Driver523,Papabear,73M819 and several of the crew of "The Justifier" I recieved a package in the mail today from the last NCOIC of the Justifier that included 2 CDs of pictures that helped me nail down exactly what I needed for the gunbox on this truck.

If all goes well,i should have the chassis ready for the box by spring.The build is carrying on,although slow,it hopefully will be finished for the Gathering this summer.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks