• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54a2, start switch wiring?

Slim

Well I've been searching the forum for some help but haven't come up with anything so here goes-

I Just obtained a roughly used (<---as you can see in my pic)M54a2 from a local construction company. Supposedly she runs (engine turns with breaker bar). The previous owner had some autozone special switch hooked up for the start button as the original switches are gone. The mickey mouse wiring and switch that they used are burnt to a crisp due to falling out of the dash and grounding on the floor of the cab. As it would be more work considering what im working with to bring it back to the way it once was, I'm just going to buy some new heavy duty switches from napa tomorrow. I was thinking along the lines of a heavy duty battery switch between the batteries and starter, and a momentary on push button to start. I am thinking correctly in doing this? How was the original setup wired, and does anybody have any pics that might help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Monty

I take it's a multifuel?

Go to the resources section and If you scroll back to page 5/6 there's some TMs that you can look through to find the electrical schmetic.

You have a power switch and the start button going off the top of my head along with the engine stop pull switch.

Looks like a good save. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Chad

area52

There is a wiring schematic for the M35A2 which is almost the same as your M54A2. It shows the wire for the start push button as coming in through a breaker so make sure you have a breaker in the circuit. The TM's for the M54A2 are 9-2320-211-xx( different numbers). The wiring diagram is not correct in those manuals so search for a diagram for the M35A2.

Edit: I was wrong, its a relay not a CB. and the drawing is in the appendix of 9-2320-361-20

Last edited:

Slim

Yep tried that. Even tried it on another computer with no luck. Does anyone have this schematic in pdf form that they can post or e-mail me?

Slim

Lets get this straight, I hate electrical work and it hates me and this truck has been abused severely. I haven't seen the wiring schematic but Basically the idea of a relay is so you don't have all the amperage flowing through the start switch, correct? But there is a solenoid, (which is a relay?) on the starter. So how much amperage is actually flowing through the start circuit?

I have traced the Wiring as follows:
1. Battery ground to frame.
2. Starter ground to frame.
3. Battery positive to large lug on starter
4. Smaller gauge battery positive to inside cab?
5. Wire from tab on starter to inside cab.
6. Accessories to smaller lug on starter.

It is my understanding that the Battery positive inside the cab would go to the relay as would the wire from the tab on the starter and the start switch would complete the circuit of the relay and send a start signal...Am I even Close? Also how would you send power to the smaller lug on the starter to power the accessories etc..?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks