• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561 Parts ID? Original Log Book

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a M561 parts lot and manuals and would like to know if you would ID the parts in the photos. The last part looks like a tie rod end but no guts in it. A NOS center console with nice fresh rubber boots and data plates. Also an original -34P and a nice -20, and an original log book with the unit and operator info.
The unit was A Btry 2/62 ADA, truck number A-32 Serial 1967C. The DD1070 shows 1990 date and Steven Munor PV2 as operator. A few base made maps in the back giving directions to Ft Ord to Travis AFB, and maps to Fort Hunter Liggett and Camp Roberts.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me thinks the part with the pip pins is a component of the "truss kit" which fixed the carrier to the tractor to allow operation without a center wheel/tire assy in case you got a flat on any of the 6 wheel postions.

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks NDT, you were correct, I found that in the manual, appears also to be a mate to it that I am missing. The other parts in the first picture I can't find and suspect they are not for the M561 but some other green truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, I don't remember ever seeing that style of CV joint on a Goat. I don't think the truss kits were ever used, the units would just call for a 5 ton wrecker to recover, not unusual for a goat to finish a mission "on the hook".