• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 Perfect Timing Purchase

Flyboy207

A few days ago I happened across a listing on FB by an acquaintance of mine for an M715 with no drivetrain for cheap. The ad was half an hour old and I immediately jumped on it. It was much closer and cheaper than I had ever seen one before. As of yesterday it’s in my barn!

It’s fairly complete, other than the drivetrain. I’d like to find a good balance between wheeling rig and correct MV. I wanted to come here and ask a few questions:
1. It’s considerably taller in the back. Initially I wanted to do a spring over conversion in the front to level it out, but it was a fire engine with a tank and pump at one point. Maybe there are extra leafs in the rear pack?
2. Planning on keeping the axles and running 38” Michelin’s (11.00r16) if I can. Not sure if those accept tubes or if I need to find tubeless wheels. Also planning on buying lockout hubs.
3. I’m undecided on an engine. Ideas range from a 4.0 Jeep inline 6, to a 360 or 440 Dodge, to a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins. Overdrive would be nice so I’m thinking an NV4500 with an NP205 divorced transfer case?
4. Disc brakes in front, power conversion, or both?
5. Any “easy” leaf spring swaps for more articulation/ride quality?

An M715 was what I actually wanted when I bought and started my CJ5/M38A1 clone (see thread in the M38A1 section), and I think it’s going to be a little while before that’s done and I can start on this. It won’t be a full perfect restoration but I’m going to try to make it reasonably clean. I can get the info from the data plates if it can give me any info on the history.

As always, any recommendations or criticism helps! Thanks!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks