• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M720 Hook Up Points

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have checked the site and the TM's. Nothing I could find shows what the adapter kit looks like for the S280 shelter to mate to a M720. Anyone have pictures of the mounting points where the 720 would mate up. Would like to see closeup photos of both the M720 hooked up and unhooked. There are lots out there showing the overall system and the M720 without a container.

Anyone know where I can find a mounting kit? One was sold on GL earlier this month as part of a sealed bid. I didn't know I needed it at that time.

rlwm211

Carnac I have an S280. The shelter has four threaded castings that interconnect with the arms of the mobilizer. Is this what you want a picture of?

RL

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be two cleats on the M720 which is an intergral part of the lower cross bar assembly. that corresponds to matching cleats that are bolted to the bottom edge of the shelter.
This is true for both sections of the M720 and both ends of the shelter. Obviously they are spaced on both the M720 and the shelter so that they line up and interoperate.

Also there should be a corner plate built into the shelter about 3 feet up from the bottom on each corner. The corner plate has a threaded hole in it. The arms of the M720 that come up at an angle and are part of the same piece that the cleats are on, has a piece of steel in the form of a piece of heavy angle iron. This has holes in it that allows you to put a bolt thru it and thread into the corner piece on the shelter.

TM 0-2330-285-14&P/TO 36A11-21-10-1
Page 2-5 Has a diagram

Manual can be downloaded from LOGSA
I believe I tried to add it to the manuals on SS but it said it had to be cleared by a admin
Bruce

rlwm211

I believe my shelter has both the threaded mounts and the "cleats" on the bottom that index with the lift portion of the mobilizer. I will get a couple of shots of them in the morning.

RL

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note: There are a bunch of different type shelters and mobilizers, and they are not interchangeable. Your shelter must be made to work with the M720 or it is not going to work.
When I went to get a mobilizer at a DRMO auction I had to go down and measure the position of the two mount points to make shure it would work. First time I went down they didn't match. Then the next time it was the M720 and then it matched my shelter.
Bruce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing, if your shelter doesn't have any of the mounting hardware as I suspect is the case, it is possible if you found a shelter going to the scraper, that you could remove the bottom cleats by unbolting. The side mounting plates with the threaded hole, will be a whole other ball game, since I believe they are welded on are an integral part of the corner column. I am not sure though since my shelter is in a nearby town . Curtesy of the local zoning boards.
Bruce

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Carnac I have an S280. The shelter has four threaded castings that interconnect with the arms of the mobilizer. Is this what you want a picture of?

RL
RL,

Yes, I am trying to get close-ups of the actual mounting points on the 280 shelter. I now have a 720 and a shelter without mounting points. I need as much info as possible. Since I may have to have these things machined locally, I could also use any measurements.

The web is pretty shy of information as is LIW. Can't even find install instructions for the kit.

Thanks for your help.

CARNAC

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rlwm211, I was looking in the shelter repair TM and it didn't look like the S280 was equiped with the hookup for the dolly set.
Are you sure you have an S280? The picture in the TM show the S280 as having rounded corners
on the bottom of the shelter. Maybe they added the connecton hardware later with one of the kits CARNAC is talking about.

This is from the TB 750-240
Bruce

rlwm211

I have an S280 for sure. I will take some photos carnac and if you want the mounts and they are removeable we can certainly come to some sort of arrangement.

RL

rlwm211

lift points added to S280 shelters for mobilizers

Hey Carnac. Here are a couple of photos of what I think you are talking about. The Bottom brackets are bolted on and the upper threaded mounts are rivited. Neither present a big problem in removing them.

Take a look and if that is what you are looking for PM me and we can discuss this.
RL

Attachments

forestMog

I am interested in the design of the bottom mount. If a picture of the inside is possible it would help me a lot. The width of the bottom hook is 5.5" so I hope to see how the mount is gouged out to receive the bottom hook. Connecting rivet or bolt diameter would give me an idea of the required strength. Assuming the same connection geometry I estimate the static load on the each joint at about 1 ton. Dynamic load is much higher.

I am making a pallet for a m720 from collected scrap. Here is what I have done so far.
Using a 6x6x1/4" square steel tube for support rail, cut a full width 2" slot in the bottom about 1" from the end. From a 5.5" long piece of 6x6x3/8" tube cut a corner to about 1" x 2" at an angle and insert it inside the rail to make a pocket to match the hook on the M720. Weld it.

Cut a piece of 1/4" plate about 5.5"W x 3.5"H to put inside the end to reinforce the pocket. Weld it.

Sorry I can't post a sketch, my hard drive crashed and Is in for repair. Will post a sketch soon.

Srjeeper

I am making a pallet for a m720 from collected scrap. Here is what I have done so far.
Using a 6x6x1/4" square steel tube for support rail, cut a full width 2" slot in the bottom about 1" from the end. From a 5.5" long piece of 6x6x3/8" tube cut a corner to about 1" x 2" at an angle and insert it inside the rail to make a pocket to match the hook on the M720.

You talking about something like this....
http://www.aarcorp.com/gov/Mobility...es/PDFs/Opt04-18-M720-832MobilizerAdapter.pdf

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that is sweet. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate if you had the bottom hook castings to bolt on.
Bruce

forestMog

Yes, but with log bunks in the middle. The sketch is looking up at the connection. The olive color represents the M720, the grey matches the diagonal arm and the transparent part shows how the connection will be. If anyone is interested in the Sketchup file I can PM it. The design is intended to closely match the M720 arms but is made from larger square tube. Its all I have available. The weight should be less than the S280.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hey Carnac. Here are a couple of photos of what I think you are talking about. The Bottom brackets are bolted on and the upper threaded mounts are rivited. Neither present a big problem in removing them.

Take a look and if that is what you are looking for PM me and we can discuss this.
RL
Thanks Becky. Before you pull that stuff off, I want to ensure all efforts locally are exhausted. The rivets on the upper bracket, any idea on the size? I would think this wouldn't be very strong if they just went into the aluminum.

-----------------

Does anyone have the installation instructions for these kits? Would like to get a copy.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the top bracket does is keep the shelter from bouncing off of the bottom bracket.
There will be a structural element in the corner, but I can't tell if the rivets connect with it.
Remember that the M720 is only rated for 15 mph cross country & 50 on the highway.
Bruce

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
So basically I just have to have the proper measurement for the corner piece. The rivets are probably just standard plain rivets that go through the aluminum skin.

As for the bottom piece, what does it bolt to and does it go all the way through. Mine has some rivets at the bottom but no threaded points.

Thanks everyone. Still looking for anyone that has the instructions. Never found them on the internet.