• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756 rear winch level winder

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking at a level winder for my front mounted 8x8 winch and found this, which is the rear winch for an M756 pipeline truck. It is also a 5-tonner winch (20,000 lb capacity), but it appears to be installed upside down like mine.

The level winder is different from the ones I have seen before, in that it doesn't have a tensioner and the winder does not support the full load.

Any comments are welcome.

Edit: added image of "Regular" level winder.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks more like the winch from an M764 to me. The M756 headache rack prohibits the use of a levelwind assy. I can certainly see the advantage of a levelwind.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The left picture is the Tulsa winch from a pole setter truck. It is cast iron, and has 1/2 cable.

tm america

hy not make a tensioner like the use on civy tow trucks its a piece of plate steel thats hinged and then has springs to keep tension on the cable which forces the cable to wind tight on the winch drum without crossing over itself.its not a perfect setup but its alot better than nothing good luck coming up with something let us know what you find

EZFEED

Cool deal Bjorn! Hey do you have a NSN# for the part you need? This local guy has lots of these level wind things and I will see if he'd be interested in selling one. I'll tell him its for me and see if he'll let one go.

Did you mount that on your M757? Is that a custom made bumper you made for it?:-D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EZ, the xm757 all came with a front winch, but they were installed upside down to get the drive aligned with the PTO, which makes is difficult to install the level winder normally used with the 20,000 lb winch. That said, I might still get one and see what's involved in mounting it.
The NSN for the complete winch is 2590-00-741-1122, but would only need the level winder part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks