• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809

Not that I am adding anything useful to the forum but wanted to share my experience today with an 809.

Today at Fort Knox I had to sign for an old school 809 truck with 2 flat tires that was on the books still. It had not run since August 2009. I pulled up a newer 939 and hooked up the slave cables. I let it charge for about 20 minutes and gave it a shot. Wouldnt you know it, the thing fired right up. It spit and sputtered for about 20 seconds and then ran like a spotted ape! I couldnt believe the ol' girl still had it in her. I took it over to the heavy wheel shop and dropped it off for services. I will be using her to help move items getting ready to be shipped down to Fort Benning when the armor school moves. Just thought I would share. That's a helluva truck!

KsM715

Take care of her, She'll be somebodys new baby someday.

Edit: just for fun, stuff something unusual in some unusual places, see what we can find when it gets surplused out.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoo-Ah!:grd:These trucks take a lickin' but keep on tickin'. As a former tanker who trained in the hallowed halls of Ft. Knox, It's sad to see the Armor Training Center move to Benning. However, it warms my heart to know the vintage iron will be performing up to task during the move.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 814 fired right up after sitting for over 3 years. Checked everything over, and then drove her 800 miles home. An 800 series might be slow, thirsty and a bone jarring ride, but by god it will get the job done. :mrgreen:

emr

The truck has spirit and guts. The new stuff will never last the way the old ones did.
As much as I love the trucks we have, it is more than possible that is not true. one simple reason is the new ones are designed with a zero rebuild in mind, so they will go on like B 52s actually, now u could say well sure, but they need a rebuild, WELL so did ours, just that our rebuild programs were/are ancient tech and were not able to take on new tech parts, it never was in there design....and well our redbuilds did not last as long as the originals anyway, the new trucks rebuild program will last at least as long as the original, our trucks are special for sure, but they are dinosaurs.. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks