• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Alternator conversion

F18hornetM

Last weekend I changed out the prestolite 65 amp alternator for a 65 amp single wire Delco 27si. I would have prefered to keep original but for the price of the regulator I got the new delco. Delco overhaul kits are only around $30 so for longevity and ease of getting repair parts I went that path.
I took a couple pictures because I have seen other posts where they made new brackets. I just modified the exsiting brackets to fit the new alt. If I ever do go back with the orginal alt, its no problem. Once everything was measured it went pretty easy.
Bottom mounting plate>>
moved mounting holes forward 3/8" and drilled end holes [alt bottom mounting holes] to 1/2". This allowed the front,bottom mount of the delco to go in front of the mount. Then made a spacer from solid round stock to go between rear of alt and original bracket.
Adjustment arm>>
Made a 3/4 solid spacer to move mounting arm away from block. Also adjustment slot was widened to 1/2" .
Only thing Im not real happy about is I cant find a 2 groove pulley, that takes a 3/8 belt that fits a 23mm alt shaft. Ive looked through all kinds of books and can find one but its for a smaller 17mm shaft. So for now it has the 1/2 groove pulley but the belts are not hitting the bottom of the V so will probably be fine. have put about 60 miles on it with no issues so far.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks