• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813A1 recovery

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday Lancerobson, his son, and I, went to FT Drum to get his M813A1 w/w and 4 M101 trailers. We had some snow and rain in the air. All went well. Here's a couple pics I took with my phone.

We also ran into John Tennis at FT Drum! Hope his drive home went as well as ours.

Attachments

Last edited:

LanceRobson

What we didn't have was a camera to take a picture of the d%&m snow! It was windy with mixed snow and rain and neither DH's truck or the M813A1 I bought had heaters so the wipers had a challenge.

The last time DH and I saw the truck and trailers we were picking up it was late January or February and the snow was piled up to about the top of the M813A1's tires. We had to push snow out of the way to get the doors open. The 10th Mountain Division had turned in all it's M101 trailers and I looked at over 100 of them to ID the nicest ones.

We picked up four M101A2 trailer that all had brand new tires. Three had tops, all had racks and bows. Two of the racks are brand new fiberglass with the aluminum bows. One trailer has surface rust but three are very clean. The bonus was about 25-30 chock blocks in the back of one trailer. Total price of the trailers, with the buyers premium was under $1,000.

The M813A1 has 11 good tires with 7 ranging from brand new with the label to very good with none dry rotted. It has a brand new starter, clean hard top, all the belts are new, a nearly new muffler, four matched batteries dated AUG 07, two solargizers, a fresh oil change, a great winch cable, all the racks and bows, no dents of rust other than surface rust yadda, yadda, yadda. It obviously came from a unit with a strong maintenance program and ample money for parts.

It only has 10,825 miles and 338 hours on it. The best part was the price. I paid $3,096 for it.

I'm a happy camper!

Today my son Chris and I swap in a good "take out" transfer case into our show/parade M35A2C. Then I need to think about whether we put in one of the hot water heater kits or the multi-fuel heaters we have on the shelf (or one of each) into the M813A1. This no heat stuff is for the birds!

We'll get some pics of the new stuff and get them up for tonight.

DH, thanks again.

Lance

LanceRobson

Well, we didn't get any pics of the snow but Nancy did at home. Also, over to the NE of us they got 1-2 FEET of snow running over into Vermont. I guess the last time they got 2 feet this late was 1874.

So far, the only things to deal with are a rotted through exhaust J-pipe and both rear composite light bodies are cracked. They both work so maybe I can move the guts over from a couple of corroded ones.

Lance