• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Doing Serious and Critical Work

70deuce

Gamagoat1's M816 was put to work in assisting the change out of the big old gas motor in this 1958 M54. It appeared to have ate up a forward crank bearing on I-25 last year on its way to a big airshow in Denver. Many SS/MVCC members involved in this operation. The M816 made the swap fairly easy with its expert operator. Only real problem we had and thankfully it had a quick fix was that during reinstall of the pressure plate, one of the pressure plate bolts snapped off in the flywheel! Torque wrench was set to 50 ftlbs. Shouldn't have snapped. A chisel and hammer were used to tap an edge of the remnants and we got the thing backed out. The orginal bolts were grade 5. Grade 8 were installed on the pressure plate and bellhousing after chasing all bolt holes with a tap. Fun had by all.

Attachments

70deuce

Here is another series of pictures.

Attachments

m139h2otruck

Looks like one engine has a Holley carb and the other has a Zenith? Ever had to get parts for the Zenith? If so, where did you get them? Thanks.
P.S. great job on the swap.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a bunch of good people got together to pull off a nice swap on green iron using plenty of green hardware. That would have been a fun event to attend!

70deuce

The truck belongs to a fellow SS member so I don't know if he has had to buy parts for the carbs. I'll will find out. And you are correct. Zenith on the bad motor, Holley on the replacement motor. Owner is swapping carbs also. Zenith going on the replacement motor.

jollyroger

It would have been awesome if 70Deuce paid the heat bill outside while we were doing the swap. Ha Ha.

We just got the motor back in the The "Big A$$ Kahuna" and it started snowing on us. But at least progress was made.

I'm just glad that OldFart finding that engine has seemed to work out well. It came out of a bridge truck over at Boyce and so far it's been everything they said it was.

I just can't wait for the Kahuna to attend parades again. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks