• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 Engine Options?????? Cummins or not

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at a 1985 wrecker, an 816 I have assumed. He says it has a continental engine in it? Is there a source/reference on which models of 5 tons had what engines?
Thanks,
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine has a overhaul tag that reads TEAD 12-87 along with a X in the rods block on the tag, can't see any more in the photo, could the engine have been replaced? He has the date of manufacture as 1985. Got to go now, heading to Ft. Riley for a couple of M101s, one with all the accessories!
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am wondering how a 816 built in 1985 has a non-cummins engine in it? I wonder what else has been substituted, and is it a 1985 or was it refurbished in 1985, I have seen a couple of 816's with new odometers from a rebuild, do they also alter the plates?
James G.

MotorTMan

Has to be an older wrecker M62/543 with either the Continental 6602 gasser or multifuel. It probably received depot maintenance in 87. Sounds like a multi to me. What fender is the air cleaner on? Driver side its an 816, passenger its a multi (or Mack), no cleaner can its a gasser...Just a little input

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics can clear up all this. Pic of the nose, engine and crane and we can tell you exactly what you have there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The link doesn't work for me. Is the grill flat across or does it kinda wrap around. The air cleaner on the passenger fender indicates a multifuel truck. The M816 and the M543, M543A1 and M543A2 share the same Garwood crane. The M62 and subsequent repowers have the Austin Western crane. I suppose someone could have been unable to find the NHC 250 and installed a multi but I'll bet its an M543A2. Pending access to the picture link of course.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, working now! Its an M543A2 as Kevin said. The flat grill is a dead give away. Of course it could be an -A1 if its Mack powered but it's not an M816 at all. Looks pretty complete, would love to see whats in the tool boxes. As far as manuals go to the TM section and download TM 43-0001-31. Its the TACOM data sheets and contains basic info and line drawings on lots of trucks and trailers. Good luck with this truck, everyone needs a wrecker in their motorpool.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenneth:
An 816 was going up for sale at the Little Rock DRMO this month that had a complete set of tools inlcuding a large tow bar with a towing light set. It set at the DRMO for a year, he moved it to the sale area and a fire department guy took it on the last possible day before it went up for auction to the public, it had just gone through a complete rebuild, everything on it was reworked or new! I have some photos I will post.
James G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks