• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M816 predetonation

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove the truck home yeaterday and when I get to 4th high the predetonation knock starts. Can this be the injectors to tight giving me advanced timming.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No smoke Will and seems to be running ok. When it starts I just go easy on the peddel till the next up shift and easy on 5th high till she gets to 2100. Would this be something because of the GVW of the 816?

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They rattle and bang a bit especially in the colder weather. If the fuel rate has been increased, it will tend to make more noise. A diesel won't "ping". There is no pre ignition on an oil fired compression engine, it is actually a pretty precise deal. Injection timing can be affected by a loose injector setting or air, that's the white/grey smoke. A tight injector will cause a mechanical failure, then it'll smoke,make noise and be rough.

AMGeneral

From what I can remember my M816 sounded exactly as you describe during the 3/4 upshift and especially noticeable when loaded.

That massive drop in rpms (2100 to 1200) really taxes the power curve of the 250,especially toteing around 36,000 lbs.

Even with new injectors,fully rebuilt injection pump, minimal (if any) air leaks in the fuel system and a clean fuel filter,it still sounded "noisy" while pulling hard.

I eventually took it as "normal" for a heavily laden NHC 250 to sound like that.

I actually had several people in the know to drive my 816,I actually thought it was weak for that size engine, all of them thought it ran great for what it was.

If Clinto still had the video stored somewhere of my M816 towing a M123 tractor,it captured the sound almost perfectly.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was reading about the Cummins Flush and Adjust to clean the injector tips so I might give that a try. The post I was reading also said they felt that the Flush and Adjust should be used before running the injector clearances. The outher thought would be to put the transmission I have out of a 5 ton miltifuel. Owell Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok been reading and they are calling it fuel knock so whatever. Think like I said, try the Cummins Flush and Adjust you run the motor on for and hour then check the injector clearances for being to tight causing to much advance. Thanks all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks