• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 5th wheels question

Hooty481

Just wondering how much side to side play should be in the 5th wheel when only towing on the road. Mine has a little bit but i can tighten it up with the wedges. Is this a personal preference thing or should it be a certain way?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shouldn't be play in either direction, Just snug enough to allow for turning. You can test with a 2" OD piece of pipe, and adjust from there. Make sure the kingpin on the trailer isn't wore out, and you keep plenty of grease on the jaws and kingpin.

KsM715

When you say you can "tighten it up with the wedges". Do you mean the plate actually rocks side to side? Or do you mean the kingpin is moving side to side in the jaws?

KsM715

I'm not a truck driver but I would think if your just pulling on the road you would want them snugged up tight. My father-in-law hauls grain for his local co-op and I know on his civy freightliner there is no side to side play in his fithwheel.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most civilian over the road trucks do not pivot at all from side to side. As a matter of fact, the side to side movement could get you in trouble if you're not careful. If you're going to be loaded heavy on the front of the trailer I'd definitely wouldn't want it to pivot side to side. I'd lock it down tight unless you are doing some serious off-roading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks