• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 bobbed truck rear steering axle question

LanceRobson

Has anyone used an M809 series front axle for a rear steering axle under a bobbed M809 truck?

I'm tinkering with the idea of sticking one under the rear and am looking for info or input on axle capacity and spring options.

Does anyone know if the rated capacity of the axle is due to inherent axle strength or springs?

If the standard front springs won't work, any suggestions?

Any info or links would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lance

No.2Diesel

-Axle ratings are always measured by the capacity of the axle housing or assembly. Springs are a variable. I would guess that a 5ton rockwell rear has nom. rating of 38-40K

-A front 5ton Rockwell would be less due to steering components like the kingpins and spindles etc. I would guess maybe 28-30K?

-Don't accept those numbers as accurate, just a guess. Its difficult to find factory spec sheets for the rockwells

-In your bobbed application it should be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks