• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818/Cumins 250 - Hours/miles How many is to many?

Makincold

Need some help evaluating information on trucks on the GL website
If I'm looking for an M818 is there a point at which warning bells should go off in my head for hours and miles driven? How many is to many? Not knowing of how the equipment was used of course makes a difference, but should I use hours and miles as a barometer of the trucks I would focus on even looking at?
500 hours? 1000 Hours? 1500 Hours?
Also is there a miles to hour ratio I should look at? High hours low miles a bad thing?
Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To use the mileage and or Hours, you would need to trust/believe the pictures and or description, from the GL listing. That would be your first mistake...

Preview in person or learn a lesson.

54reo

Besides the good points made by DH, the gauges could have (more likely definitely) been changed at one time. It is anyone's guess as to how many miles/hours are on any of our trucks from the gov.

There was a member here that had bought a recently rebuilt truck (not just the engine, the entire truck had been rebuilt recently and apparently it sat a lot following the rebuild). It showed low miles/hours, and it really was a low hours machine. The truck ran out well on the road, but was very difficult to get started. Seems that whoever built the IP during the rebuild messed it up on assembly. The new owner had to shell out $$ for a new IP in the end. After the repairs, he ended up with a very nice truck, but is everyone out there willing to go through the truck after they purchase one, or are most guys out there looking to get into a "cool" truck on the cheap?

The point of all this is just as DH said, inspect in person. That should include a start of the vehicle at the least.

(All that said, I have only followed my own advise once. So far I have been lucky in that the stuff I have bought was in good shape. The one time I did inspect prior to the auction, I found a bunch of stuff wrong that the pics did NOT show.)

Makincold

Thanks guys, I hadn't really thought about gauges not working. I was trying to decide if the 3 hour drive to inspect the ones I was considering was even worth it. Guess the only thing to do is go look!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks