• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 for business

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on hauling trailers with it, talk to Wes about his M916. If not, and you think you will use the crane get a M936a2, but if the ground is soft remember they are very heavy themselves. If you have several tons of dedicated equipment that can live in the back of a cargo truck, I would get an m925a2. If the ground is soft air down to sand mode. If things are getting stuck drop down to emergency mode.

Nope not planning on hauling rides with it. Only planning on using it to get rides and trucks unstuck.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get a 936 stuck, it's stuck forever. Keep it on the hard surface and use winch cable to reach the stuck load.

Any 5ton with a winch is up to the task. Heavy rear drag winches preferred.

None of them are particularly comfortable on extended road trips. 100 miles is entertaining. 500miles is drudgery.

I understand that. I've driven my M35A2 600 miles in one go.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand that. I've driven my M35A2 600 miles in one go.
I drove my XM818 over 2700 miles pulling an equipment trailer one week from Nellis to east following US highways .
Long trip at 55 0n the level.
Works better close to home and staying off interstate highways.
Always thought a M916 would be a good replacement.

Attachments

pevrs114

In my neck of the woods the loggers, before the economy went south, used the M818s a lot. They would load the logging trailers in the back forty, and then use the M818s to move the trailers up to the hard road. The on road tractors would then take the trailers to the mill.
I have seen this a lot, too. As well as 813's with 5th wheel plates added in place of the beds.

My buddy is trying to buy a pretty-well-used M932A1 this weekend from a logging outfit.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was always impressed with the pulling power of my 817.

Have you looked into air locking differentials, maybe build a truck. Is deuce out of consideration?

st8drumz

I have a 818 super singled, working front pto winch for sale in Mass $5500 out the door, everything works. (except) the heat needs a few ducts. Also has almost all the torque arm bushings replaced with the New style HD with the zerk fittings for greasing.
Do you still have your truck for sale?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mein Gott in Himmel. That thing looks like it just settled into the grass without even being driven stuck.
I've been there and that ground when dry is hard as a rock, but the area is very flat and the water stands after a hard rain, so it probably did sink, just can't remember how long ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks