• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 full time 6WD or ?

scootertrs

Asked in a response to different thread about the engagement of 6wd in an 818 tractor. The reply was via poppet valves that activate between the forward and reverse gears and how we must be careful about going direct into second from reverse, etc. I do not want to hi-jack that thread, so here goes...

I have researched the manual and tms and cannot clearly understand how it works and even if the 6wd is full time or ? I would hate to find out it does not work when I need it. Can anyone refer me to a section where it addresses this issue or be kind enough to clarify... I know my deuce has an air switch... but even with it, I would like to know if it is engaged or just doing the air sound thing and moving the lever :wink: Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some of the deuces have an air switch. Most of the 5tons are controlled by a sprag clutch. When the rears spin 7% faster than the front, they "turn on" the front axle. Search sprag or sprague. The poppets you hear tell the transfercase weather you are moving forward or backward.

jwaller

if you search for 5T sprag you will find a dozen or more threads all discussing the 5T sprag and the system and how it works and how to test it. it's been covered adnausium.

scootertrs

Thank you for the information... I guess my ignorance in terminology is showing. I will now do a search for 5 Ton sprag and maybe quit before I get nauseated. Either way, unless the proper terms are used, the search will come up empty. I again thank you for the guidance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks