• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Heater kit install guide

rhinob

Anyone know where I can find the actual docs to install a kit in an M818? I've searched, yes. I've also scanned every page of docs on the old site. Nothing. Did I over look it? It's possible!

Thanks much!

jwaller

water or fuel? it's all in the tm's. you dont really need an install directions, just look at the diagrams in the tm's and figure it out from there.

I do have the install doc's for the arctic heater though.

crasheej

Here are the secret places to look, TM 9-2320-211-35 dated Sept 1964 Page 506, fig 480, TM 9-2320-260-34-2-5 chapter 19 page 19-1, TM 9-2320-260-20-3-4 chapter 21, page 21-1 other than that I can't help you.:grd:

rhinob

Any and all information is appreciated, including photos. Will help eliminate any guesses. I had an M818 with heater (cabin) but didn't pay much attention to it way back then. I suppose it's technically an arctic kit since it includes a radiator muff?

Last edited:

Armada

Here you go. This should get you started.

Attachments

Armada

A few more.
Also know that the deuce heater kits are not the same as the 5 ton. The diverter is different, as are the controls and obviously the mounting brackets and plate for the heater box.

Attachments

crasheej

Armada From the looks of the firewall in the first picture in the second set pictures there seems to be a oil leak behind the defroster hoses. Hope that is not so because that is a lot of work to get get up in there to.

crasheej

To fix that bump on the firewall that the tm says that it takes two people the straighten out I used two pieces of metal about a half in thick and a c clamp after I had the hole cut for the elbow. The little cut out om the elbow goes next to the knockout in the firewall. If you put it some other way you can't get to the knockout later if needed.

crasheej

I made note of that but I figured you already knew that. I took the flapper out of a new deuce elbow and put it in my old 5 ton elbow and had like new elbow. Even if it was tan. Works great. The only thing I found that I'm going to change is the location of is the motor switch. The shifter once to turn mine on. Some one had mounted a heater out of 151 in my wrecker. So I have hole in the dash and that is where the switch is going the shifter can't get it there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks