• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 on a regular height 60" flatbed legally????

Can you fit an M818 5 ton on a regular flat bed trailer height wise legally? The height of the trailer is 60" or 5ft. I'm currently in the process of bringing back one M818 and one M35 on a flatbed and the base doesn't have a loading ramp that is low enough to load a drop deck and the driver doesn't have blocks or ramps to build a ramp to drive down to the trailer.
I've seen a picture posted here of two M818's on a regular height flatbed trailer but was wondering if this was 13'6 or taller. Any help would be appreciated.

What would the height be if I remove the stack from the 818? The M35 has the stack removed and is a hard top. The M818 is a soft top and coud possibly be taken off if needed for height.
Thanks,
Andy

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get 9' even to the top of my stack; removing the stack would only help about 2".
Removing the stack and top would probably get you legal, but airing down the tires might be simpler.
Are you sure the trailer deck height is 60"? Most of the newer "tall" straight deck trailers are only 54" tall.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I hauled 2 m818s last month on my rollback, but its deck height is 54". You dont want to go over 13,6" in height.

M1075

Andydieselpower said:
the base doesn't have a loading ramp that is low enough to load a drop deck and the driver doesn't have blocks or ramps to build a ramp to drive down to the trailer. Andy
Who needs ramps? These are military trucks afterall. Just drive off the dock and down on to the trailer. rofl

M1075 said:
Andydieselpower said:
the base doesn't have a loading ramp that is low enough to load a drop deck and the driver doesn't have blocks or ramps to build a ramp to drive down to the trailer. Andy
Who needs ramps? These are military trucks afterall. Just drive off the dock and down on to the trailer. rofl
rofl M1075 i know someone that did that.. SOMEONE we wont name names. (but he owns the truck) has a 816 at my shop that was on a step deck trailer (guessing 36-48" aint sure) since the 816 has a locked engine. they hooked a chain and deuce to the front of it and just yanked it clean off the trailer cause no ramps were to be found.

M1075

Offroadfabworks said:
M1075 said:
Andydieselpower said:
rofl M1075 i know someone that did that.. SOMEONE we wont name names. (but he owns the truck) has a 816 at my shop that was on a step deck trailer (guessing 36-48" aint sure) since the 816 has a locked engine. they hooked a chain and deuce to the front of it and just yanked it clean off the trailer cause no ramps were to be found.
rofl Ouch, that might cause a little damage! I was thinking of a 18" or so drop. Aren't most military trucks rated for 24" vertical wall climb? Does that include a 24" wall descent too?

The manual indicates the M818 to be 112". If your trailer is 54/60", you are looking at an overall height of 166"-172". The 13'6" standard height is 162". If you remove the stack, you could be real close with a 54" trailer. Otherwise, just a little over.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: Re: M818 on a regular height 60" flatbed legally???

i would do the drop down to a step deck with a 818 because of the short wheel base, would NOT do it with a 816 , if you are worried about high centering, take two 4 or 5 foot 12x12z with you , let the front wheels come down on these first then the trailer deck

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: M818 on a regular height 60" flatbed legally???

Over hight permits are easy to get, and usually only require a phone call. Some States, like here, 14' is legal. You do want to respect the Route they give you though - sometimes the Bridge is really the hight they say it is.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks