• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 problems...

dm22630

I am attaching pics of the stuff that is broken on my M818.....from the pics, can you guys tell me what I need to be looking for to fix it, or can I just bend things back into shape? My biggest concern is the muffler.....the exhaust pipe is not connected to it anymore, when I find a new one, do I need a gasket or anything in between the exhaust & muffler?

Thanks!

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

take to exhaust shop and straight pipe it :) heck with the muffler
when i took mine off to repaint it i got some square sheets of gasket material and doubled it up... (but straight pipe it :) )
as far as the glad hands.. I had same problem and had to go with new valves from home depot and redid some of the piping.
as for the mud shields I think you could probably bend those back pretty good but you better replace that tank strap... all my 2cents

M813A1

Hi Dm22630 !! Check with TaylorTradingCo. he has several 5 ton truck he is parting out and he is in Ringold Ga. I have the same problem with the mufler on my M813A1 .. It is broken in the same place <I took mine off and took it to a muffler shop and had them weld it back together .. It is holding barley !!! If you do the same have some extra supports added to the flange to muffler body to support that joint !

Last edited:

Sarge

Hey DM!
Yesterday I drove an M818 400 miles from Oklahoma to Texas with a straight pipe.
Wearing hearing protection (as I always do) the only time I noticed a difference in sound level was going up hills. (No trailer)
Now Rory, who was tailgating me in an M1009 said that when I went under an overpass, the noise nearly blew him out of his seat!
I did notice that no cars paced me on the right, heck, I was only going 57mph the whole way.
When Rory drove the 818 and I drove the 1009, same thing.
-Sarge

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, it is loud. While driving, I was wearing a higher protection level headset than I usually do in my 813 (which is loud in its own right), and I was glad of it! On acceleration and going up hill it was very noticeable (read- punishing); at cruise not as much so.

Following behind, as the 818 went under overpasses I saw pigeons dropping to the ground and writhing about in agony. Well, perhaps that is a slight exaggeration, but I definitely heard one say “Ach und bugger, that is loud!”.

Or maybe that was me….

Cheers

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

I dident get her yet, and getting stuck behind your house cant be that bad, go in the house, grab a beer and think about how to get it out. Get on the site and learn new recovery methods. drink another beer, and then get it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks