• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 questions...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: M818 questions...

Pin setting is not the only issue. Also check the distance from the pin to the landing gear. On some of the older trailers, that distance was quite short - OR - there was a bend in the trailers frame (like a goose neck), and when you truned the tractor, the rear corner of the frame would hit and get hooked together. They can be real challengeing to get apart. its a good idea to take the mud flaps off when towing a trailer.
If those distances are too close, you can get into tral trouble, especially on uneven ground.

Lee in Alaska

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: M818 questions...

The M818 was designed primarily to tow the M127 M128 and the expando vans they all had 11.00 X 20 tires as well and hook up just right with the tractor. A trailr with 9.00 X 20 wheels will sit a little front high if hooked to an M818. The M818 / M127 combo is an awefully handy set up to have.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do you have all the side boards for that trailer David? I know they are so heavy I about put my back out getting them set on mine. I love that picture of the truck and trailer hauling scrap metal. It is like they are saying to the load "if only you were painted OD you wouldn't be there"

Armada

Here is a deuce trailer (M146). It's got a definate slope to it when on a 5T. 9x20's on the trailer, 11x20's on the 5t. It tows extremely well though. The trailer legs come very close to the rear tires when turning so mudflaps would have to be removed on the 5T. The legs just crank up, they don't fold back. I think 14x20's would hit the trailer legs for sure.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

I have this figured out...ya'll are just tryin' to make me jealous with those trailers and fine lookin' 818's aintcha...huh huh??

I do, though, get mine this next Friday..cha ching!

1310monster

Looks like there's be some way to make the trailer fit the 818 irregardless. With one axle, looks like a simple fix to get it up to 14 or 16 hundred height so that it would be level. BTW, I didn't know a mobile office version to fit the 818 was even available. I just bought a deuce with the mobile command center bed. Do those 818 type trailer come up on gl often?

R

jwaller

Armada said:
:shock: :shock: Did the trailer legs rub the tires on turns??
very badly. you could only turn about 20deg MAX. since then I've bought a converter dolly to move all these baby trailers. it's pretty funny using a dolly with a tractor.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Do you have all the side boards for that trailer David? I know they are so heavy I about put my back out getting them set on mine. I love that picture of the truck and trailer hauling scrap metal. It is like they are saying to the load "if only you were painted OD you wouldn't be there"
Daivd, No i dont have the side boards. sure wish i did tho. the head board was all that was left when i picked it up from GL.in the pic above i think i had 10 ton on the trailer iirc. all civi junk. this tractor has been a great little workhorse for me. theres times that i ask a bit much out of it but i allways maintain it and we get along just fine. except for the time it shut all the lights out on me when i was pulling the road train to a show after dark on a 2 lane road at 55 mph! i think i may have called her bad names for a few seconds. traffic behind me and oncoming traffic ahead and all went dark. NOT good.

MilitaryRestoration

wow i'm gone for a day to 'gl' n all these convo's happen..hehe i LOVE IT ;-)

DaveP in regards to m127--M818--scrap load 041 can't you put bigger tires on that trailer...
Armada...same question with your trailer...

Also whats the biggest tire size people have been running with keeping the duals... Super singles are nice but once one goes there is no 'dual' to rely on which is always nice to have on those long hauls etc...

Thanks everyone for all the input keep it coming ;-) and here are some pics from today...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20290

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks