• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 steering issues

tcruwithme

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this request. If not, my apologies. I am trying to install a power steering kit taken out of an M818 tractor into my M35A2C. During the installation process, the steering bearing fell apart and the ball bearings are all over the place. I don't know if the upper steering bearing from the M818 is the same as on all other 5-ton trucks. It goes in between the inner pipe (threaded) and the external case of the steering column just before or below the steering wheel. Someone asked me if it had a spring inside it or felt on top of it - but I don't know as I didn't pull it out myself.

Can you tell by the photos if I am actually looking for the "upper steering bearing"? If so, does anyone know where I can get one of these?

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tcruwithme

Thanks for the tip. I sent Marty at Memphis some photos and talked to him on the phone. They did have it in stock, as well as another part I needed. Thanks again!

tcruwithme

Thanks, Tom. I should have checked that when we pulled the M35's steering column out. We just put it on the shelf out of the way and went to work on the 5-ton steering column. I ordered the bearing from Memphis Equipment, so hopefully that will do the trick.

tcruwithme

Steering arm for 800-series 5-ton

Does anyone know the dimensions of the steering arm from an 800-series 5-ton truck? I am installing a power steering system from an M818 tractor into my M35A2C and trying to do it without welding the steering arm or linkage if at all possible.

The steering arm off my M35 is 12" long. I have 13" to work with before it hits the leaf spring. If someone can tell me how long the steering arm (driver side) is, that would be great. Also, if you know the bolt pattern - that would be even better. Hopefully I can do a direct replacement of the 800-series 5-ton steering arm into my M35 so that the steering arm ball stud from the 800-series 5-ton will work.

Here is a photo of the end of the steering arm out of my M35. Like I said, hopefully the steering arm from an 800-series 5-ton is the same length and bolt patters (probably a long shot).

M35 steering arm.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks