• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Transfercase help (update)

jasonjc

Went to pick up my M818 to day. Got it started ok, every thing looked good underneth.
Went to pull out and nothing happened. Tranmission and clutch seem fine. Sorth shaft truns freely with the tranfer case in high , low, and nuetral. Shifter moves freely and has good locks in all detens.

GL tows them across the lot and tries too pull start them.

What are your ideas???
Shift forks? broken shaft?? broken grear??

Whats is the TM # for the transfer case??

Now I have to make another 500 mile trip and tow this thing home :cry: :x :cry:

Evey thing else on the truck looks good,no singhs of miss use or damage.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M818 Transfercase help

Was the air pressure up? Did the transfer case make the air "psstt,thunk" when shifting it from first to reverse and visa-vesa?

jasonjc

Yes the air was up and it made the right sounds.Putting the tranmision in grear would keep the sort shaft from moveing.

M1075

Was this at Tinker today? I was out there around noon helping to recover an M818 as well. Let me know if I can help any.

jasonjc

Re: RE: M818 Transfercase help

Westech said:
also make sure you have the T case in drive and not in N
I tried it in low and high looked it the linkage under the truck as someone eles moved the shifter and it seemed to be working ringht. It may be the shaft. How hard is that to replace??

jasonjc

M1075 said:
Was this at Tinker today? I was out there around noon helping to recover an M818 as well. Let me know if I can help any.
Were you in a black truck with red OK tags?? If not I must have misted you by a few minutes. Mine was the only one with out a top. They unloaded 2 more 818 when I was there.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: M818 Transfercase help

it's usually cheaper and easier to find a takeout than it is to repair one. scrap price would almost pay for a used takeout.

M1075

jasonjc said:
M1075 said:
Were you in a black truck with red OK tags?? If not I must have misted you by a few minutes. Mine was the only one with out a top. They unloaded 2 more 818 when I was there.
Yes, where were you? I only saw one other guy in the GL lot and he was picking up two M105. He said he was from Wyandotte. I told him I was there once. :wink: When we rolled out there was a drop deck semi there picking up stuff. I said hello to the driver and it turns out he was picking up an M818 and M35 for another SSer. I bought 2 more M818s there last week and plan to get a few more in the upcoming auctions.

jasonjc

RE: Re: RE: M818 Transfercase help

I think I was truning in my badge as you were getting yours I bet. It's funny about the drop deck I had one pick up the same load a few moths back. I'm done getting truck, at least for now. Some of the 818 looked pretty bad and others seem nice. they said that they are coming in from all over the place. The frist one I got is from a NY unit. The one I need to pick up has KS on the bumper. The 2 they droped off when I was there were from San Antoino. So you starting a fleet or are you reselling them??

jasonjc

Went and tow the M818 home yester day I thought I'd share some pic and numbers.
MPG there was 6.26 on the trip home towing the other M818 it droped to 4.66mpg.
Avg speed was 46.02 unloaded and 45.9 loaded, this is useing the speedo and tac for miles and time so there is some idel time in that. For mpg I measure the fule depth in the tanks befor and after the trip. The tank is 17" tall and holds 58 gals so I assume that 1"=3.41 gals?? If not can some one smarter than me tell me what I did wrong??

Attachments

jasonjc

Maybe that the eng in the one is not broken in yet. It only has 3200 miles on it now. It may need some adjustments??? The truck has a rebuild tag from the 90's and the eng is yellow so it maybe new at that time. The towed one is a depote rebuilt eng as well looks to be late 80's maybe. I need to get a better look at the tags on both of them. The fifth wheel plate on the towed one has never seen a trailer at all. Just got to tear into the trasfer and see whats wrong. Hope it is some thing easy, the seems to run good.

jasonjc

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
I am surprized at your milage I know on the 1,200 mile trip bringing our M818 home we got close to 10 mpg all the way home.
Did you pull the front hub's or drive shaft??? Or any thing else??

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
No we ran it under the max RPM all the way and it ran fine one issue that might have helped is the Alternator was not charging so it did not draw any HP but I would have liked it to work cause we had to stop twice at truck stops to get the batteries charged up. I had all the tires up to max pressure too.

jasonjc

Well I was unhooking the T-case to get it ready to pull it out to day. When I unhook the shift linkage I seen the the rod going into the case truned. The TM showed a bolt/set screw holding the shift fork on this rod. So how could it trun? I took the cover off the side to find that the bolt was loose. Some one forgot the safty wire that was to be on the bolt.!. Reconnected the linkage and snugged down the bolt and then it shifted into grear just fine. Now to put the D/S all back in and test drive :D That is after I torque the bolt back to 120ftlbs and put the safty wire on it this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks