• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 wrecker truck tractor question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As seen in the image below, the clear space in front of the 5th wheel is about 1/2 of what I have found on other truck-tractors.
Is this truck designed for only one type trailer? Goose neck type trailers only, like the M269/M270 or is there enough room for trailers like the M313 or M750 for example?
The drawings in the TM 43-0001-31 does not show the exact location of the king pin.

Thanks.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen one of these trucks at FT HOOD. I thought the same thing. The position of the fifthwheel looks like a trailor would hit. I passed because i firgured my M127 wouldn't work. Isn't there someone here with one of these trucks?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M269 or M270 are what works best. The M172 works also. Even the M313, M447, M749 and M750 trailers won''t work because of the crane. Bjorn, most all of the military semi trailers have the kingpin very close to the front of the trailer. I can barely move a civy trailer with the 275 because of clearance. No problem with military semi trailers.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We had a transportation unit next to us at Fort Benning that had one of these wreckers. I drooled over it constantly but short of missappropration of Gov property (don't think it didn't cross my mind) I had zero chance of getting it.
The Motor Sergeant told me these vehicles were primarily designed to pull a drop deck trailer like the 269 and were used to recover downed aircraft (choppers).
They were a medium trans company and used 40 foot three axle trailers pulled by 915's. They could pull those trailers with that wrecker but only with headache rack and side boards removed. They also had to cage the brakes because the 5-ton did not produce enough air to actuate the brakes on all three axles.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bjorn,
I'm emailing you a more detailed drawing of the M819 - it has the dimensions you want.

Hope this helps,
David

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My TM 9-236 shows the kingpin to be 241 inches from the center of the axles. If you like i'll mesure the trailor tomorrow and see how far it is to the front of the bed.

area52

Bjorn,
Sorry for the delay in getting the measurement back to you.

I measured from the kingpin to the first "step" on the crane base. Its like 2"-3" up from the bed. That length is 43" and there is more room to the actuall upright portion( forgot that number, I can go back and get it tomorrow if you need it).

Hope that helps

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Wade, those numbers seem to agree with the drawing, no more actual numbers needed.
Much appreciated.

The question came up when I played with the idea of fitting the HIAB onto the XM757. I would end up with about 48 inches of clearance. The deck in front of the crane is 54 inches long.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 246 and the 819 were designed to pull a 12t,40' single axle recovery flat bed trailer, that being said, in nam we pulled a standard LONG goose neck lowbed, bring back dead small equipment, you have to have the long goose neck to clear the rear outriggers, there is no way to pull a van trailer because of the boom, even if you pulled the stops and swrung the boom over the cab, the rear of the boom would be in the way,
Bjron, i dont see why your idea wont work, some m983s have a kboom in front of the fifth wheel, also there is a guy here at SS that has a expermental 5t with a kboom and fifth wheel

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ron, the 8x8 is ideal for the extra weight of the crane. It's just a matter of doing it.
Here is the 10-ton MAN with a Grove crane working the trailer now parked alongside for reach. This truck tractor and the Oshkosh M983 w/crane replaced the XM757 in the mid 1980's.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The outriggers and the front wheels don't get along.

I could cut the platform in half and get the outriggers in front of the fuel tank, but don't want to upset the parts of the "erector" set. :)

The platform is so well made and does still have the footprints from the genset and and the spare tire for the EL M790 trailer. :(

The Grove crane has a different outrigger arrangement and has a lower profile, but doesn't have the flexibility/usefulness of a true knuckleboom.

Just to think that the Grove cranes could be had for $100/ea in Oklahoma before they went to the scrapper. Image shows one without the turntable/outrigger portion. Spicergear on this list did get one, I'll try to find a picture of his. These were designed to be fitted at the very end of the truck and Tom had to make special provisons for mounting it behind the cab.

Edit: Link http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5088&highlight=grove

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had any idea the Groves were going that cheap. I would have bought one for the yard. Might have been a great addition to the nose of a flatbed semi trailer. Could always run a pump with one of the many 4A032 engines I have here. Oh well!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may not be to late, but shipping is a problem...3,500 lb, I think one or two may have ben saved by DJ, the fellow in front of the my deuce in the above picture. It may not be $100/ea, but I could find out....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could only have done it while you were there Bjorn. On a side note, Spicergear does need a valve bank for his truck. Think DJ would sell one?

M1075

I bought 4 cranes from Gary and I posted offers to the list many moons ago about more being available. Nobody said too much. The prices started out at $5000 each and then it was $2000 and then it was $750. The longer they sat, the cheaper they got.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks