• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M831 issues - need advice on next step

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All
My 831 - i got it running pinned, great, but would surge if allowed to be on the electric governor. so followed the TM, got it gap'ed correctly, and no load speed set at 178 volts. with no load seems to run steady (10 or so minutes) not varying more than a volt or two for long periods then surges (on the magnet to full off). so figured needed to set stability/gain/boost, followed the TM. stability and gain seem to have no affect as you increase them, and then the governor goes wide open and then slams on the magnet etc.. there is no getting worse and dialing it back per the TM wording as the engine will never regain control. This is true for both the stability and gain settings. so if i dial them back say a 1/4 back and restart the machine, it runs but will not idle at no load, will take 50% load heater (all i have) and seems to run with 50% load for many minutes very stable, voltage will be about 180 to 190 with only a few volts swing. and will (sometimes) stay stable under stepped load rejection, but any large load rejection (un-plug the heater) and it surges and must be manually shut down. it is also 50/50 whether it will now idle with out surging.

So any ideas what i should do now? does this sound normal and i have just not dialed it in right? or what parts should i Easter egg? which one would you start with replacing? electric governor actuator, the governor (black box) or the power inverter?

One other question - what do the red and green lights on the three relays (K-12,14,15) tell you ? green seems to indicate energized and has red power?
On mine;
K-12 i can see is pulled in and green,
K-14 the aux fuel relay has no indication (have never hit the aux fuel switch either)
K-15 is red and is not energized (relay not pulled in)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The governor module acting up is a common problem on this generator. The consensus at this point is due to moisture getting into the POTs. You can try to dry it out using the warm oven method described in another thread. The other alternative is to buy the digital controller from the forum member here that uses a micro-controller in lieu of the analog system from the manufacturer.

If you do a quick search you should be able to find the info you need. If not I can help find it later when I'm not at the office.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DieselAddict, thanks
i believe Kloppk is the member who sells the better governors, i will get in touch with him and see about trying one out.