• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M870A1 - Daytons, luv em or hate em..

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20220619_170412.jpg
Fill hub with gear oil before second wheel put on - a must unless hubcaps have center bung (red cap) - Last axle on drivers side, last pic.
20220619_170416.jpg
20220619_170425.jpg
All spiffey with new seals, bearings, tyres, tubes, flaps and blasted drums, hubs and rims.
20220619_170304.jpg
Checking for runout. Spun by hand with calibrated stick! Then drop back on ground for sequencial tightening.
20220619_171244.jpg
Well, thats one side finished. When it's mobile, I'll run it over the road, up to the shop for some body work/welding and a lick of paint. Also have to make up a rear wiring loom, repair airlines - someone had run them through a hole in the Kingpin plate and squished them!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... and for anyone interested in this 'restoration' - yes, you can put me in the "rivet counters" pigeonhole. Agreed, the brakes are small by modern standards, yes the Dayton wheels/hubs are a relic of a by gone era, yes the tyre size is uncommon.
BUT, a correct restoration, for "as in service" period correct trailer, to go with my M916A1 tractor, to make up the LET combination (Light Equipment Tranporter), it is correct.
If this version is undesirable in todays world, it makes it more important to me (not so much $$$s) to preserve an example - IMHO!

Final stenciling will be to USAF - Gulf War. The 819 REDHORSE used LETs in the repaving of Prince Sultan Airbase.

1655731220694.png

[besides, one colour sand is easier to paint than 3 colour camo!]

Mods to the trailer would be nice - steps/hand holds in the gooseneck riser, wet line, rear under beaver tail locker, airbag rear axle lift, inboard 'D' rings, rear ramps but then all that would be right up there with changing to modern axles! ..... so, unless I hear from a REDHORSE veteran that they did X to their trailer, I'll go 'as is'...

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is stenciling on the 5th wheel slide for positioning both M870 and M172, TM lists both as well. Winch on rear also specifically required for 870.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... and for anyone interested in this 'restoration' - yes, you can put me in the "rivet counters" pigeonhole. Agreed, the brakes are small by modern standards, yes the Dayton wheels/hubs are a relic of a by gone era, yes the tyre size is uncommon.
BUT, a correct restoration, for "as in service" period correct trailer, to go with my M916A1 tractor, to make up the LET combination (Light Equipment Tranporter), it is correct.
If this version is undesirable in todays world, it makes it more important to me (not so much $$$s) to preserve an example - IMHO!

Final stenciling will be to USAF - Gulf War. The 819 REDHORSE used LETs in the repaving of Prince Sultan Airbase.

View attachment 870789

[besides, one colour sand is easier to paint than 3 colour camo!]

Mods to the trailer would be nice - steps/hand holds in the gooseneck riser, wet line, rear under beaver tail locker, airbag rear axle lift, inboard 'D' rings, rear ramps but then all that would be right up there with changing to modern axles! ..... so, unless I hear from a REDHORSE veteran that they did X to their trailer, I'll go 'as is'...

What is it with you and horses?

:ROFLMAO:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is it with you and horses?
Growing up, all "The Americans" we saw locally were from RAF Weathersfield - used by USAF 819 REDHORSE - so I guess somewhere that red horse driving a bulldozer struck a chord!! I do like dozers too.
Oh.. and in my line of work, I enjoy the horses more than most of the owners!!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i run a dozer for my Brother every once in a while and a friend has given me permission to run his track hoe, tracked end-loader, dozer and skid steer to start a pond for him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks