• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Front Hub bearings loose

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys got an issue with a buddy's 880. He decided to rebuild the front axle hubs using new bearings. Upon reassembly, the rotor wobbles back and forth about 1/4". Looks like the old bearings had been loose and spinning in the hub, and now the new bearings are loose too. Any simple fixes for this I am missing? I can think of replace housing, bore out and sleeve, bore out for oversize race, others?

Attachments

Kerogane

Here are several fixes for the worn front hub. We used to fight these all the time at our shop in the 70's & 80's. Smart move find a NOS hub, might be one out there surplus. Saturn Surplus used to have a lot of M880 NOS parts. You can KNURL the old hub, this will tighten the bearing and have seen it work quite awhile. I've even seen some spot weld a NOT TOO BAD baring to the hub. This is probably not recommended. This whole setup wasn't the best as most people didn't find the grease fitting in hub (access by a hole in the rotor) until it was TOO LATE! Just knock the lug studs out and the rotor will come off the hub. Hope this helps! mike