• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Series Questions

AZDeuce

Gentelmen:

I bought and drug home a running, drivable, and in good condition M880 Monday, while reaing the data plate, I foun I had in fact bought a M884 which according to the O-D site, is a shelter carrier of some sort.

I had ASSumed that this had a Dana 60 axle up front, and a Dana 70 in the rear, but according to info on the O-D site, it has a Dana 44 up front, and a Dana 60 in the rear.

So I was hoping some of you could confirm, what axles my M884 has.

I've wanted a M880 since I saw them coming out in my last year in the Marine Corps, it took 30 years but I finally got one!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, 44 in front and 60 in the rear. The shelter carrier has the overload springs and the tail rides high unloaded. You can put ungodly loads on that truck and just go. I had 2 cubic yards of crushed concrete in mine and that made it ride level. M884 should have a 100 amp kit. Congrats on your purchase, a very usable truck!

nattieleather

To be more specific in my research the front is a Dana 44F which gets refered to by many as a Dana 44HD (or Heavy duty) From what I can tell it is the Dana 44 diff inside a Dana 60 axle housing with the 60 axle shafts. A stout axle to say the least.

Also in my research the 44F was used from 1968-1990 but only the years 1974-79 used the axle with out external locking hubs. According to what I found in theory one could find a 1980-84 truck and swap everything from the nuckle out to have lock out hubs.

In my mind it would be less work to just swap the axle.... :)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Correct, 44 in front and 60 in the rear. The shelter carrier has the overload springs and the tail rides high unloaded. You can put ungodly loads on that truck and just go. I had 2 cubic yards of crushed concrete in mine and that made it ride level. M884 should have a 100 amp kit. Congrats on your purchase, a very usable truck!
What NDC said is correct. I have the M885 shelter truck, It just came with standard 12V system, does your M884 still have the 24V 100 amp system? Most have been removed.

AZDeuce

Unfortunately (?), my 100 amp set up has been removed.....assuming this would be an auxilary generator/alternator. Mine just has the small Chrysler type alternator.

I'm not into radios, but I do have a line on a slide in shelter (s-250?) that's gutted, but in nice shape. I smell a possible camper conversion in my future.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The resources section of the site has a TM SB 11-640 that has the plans for a wooden framework that you need to build for the 250 to fit . It keeps the shelter from riding on the sides of the bed and takes up the slack between the wheel wells. I used deck screws instead of nails. Unless you have mil radios THE 100 AMP IS MORE TROUBLE than is is worth plus saves buying 2 more batteries. This is a pic of mine before I put the frame in. Dave

Attachments